Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HP p6310F

Windows 7 Home Edition

ERROR: Unsupported CPU installed

Replacing CPU

Hello!  I am replacing the CPU in my HP P6310F.  According to this documentation, http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01949155 I can upgrade to an AMD Phenom II X4 9xx/9xxe/8xx Quad-Core (Deneb).  My understanding has always been that "9xx" means any phenom II in the 900 series class. 

I bought a retail Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition, part number HDZ965FBGMBOX, installed it and am getting the ERROR: Unsupported CPU installed message.  After searching and reading up on the error message and posts from others, it seems it might be due to the "black edition" and /or because it is 125 watts.  That was the answer given to a few others in a similar situation as me.

Can you please tell me why this CPU isn't compatible, and please help me with a list of compatible CPU's?

This one is also in the 9xx series, but it to is 125W

AMD HDZ955FBK4DGM Phenom II X4 955 Processor - Quad Core, 6MB L3 Cache, 2MB L2 Cache, 3.20GHz, Socket AM3, 125W, No Fan, OEM

This one is in the 9xx series and is 95W

AMD HDX945WFGIBOX Phenom II X4 945 Quad Core Processor - 3.00GHz, 6MB Cache, 2000MHz (4000 MT/s) FSB, Retail, Socket AM3, Processor with Fan

The stock cpu is an AMD Athlon II X4 630, 95W

I can provide any further information you may need, thank you very much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

There are no AMD Black Edition CPUs that are compatible with any HP desktop PC.

That is what the problem is related to. Black Edition CPUs are special CPUs that have unlocked multipliers for enthusiast grade motherboards. You couldn't acces the multipliers to overclock the CPU with the motherboard you installed it to anyway.  

Even if you choose, purchase and install one of the CPUs listed in the Maintenance & service Guide there is no guarantee by HP that it will operate.

You should also be aware that installing a CPU other than the one that your desktop was delivered with will void the warranty.

Sorry to bear bad news.

The good news is that the CPUs listed in the Maintenence & Service guide are known, from reports of upgrading in the threads in the forum, to work.

Best regards,
erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended
Well, I think I just found my answer. I found this page on HP support, http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01742903 and under the "processor upgrade" section it says "TDP=95W". That's the only detail that is not listed on the product spec page I mentioned in the original post.

Could you please let me know if I am on the right track or not, thank you.
HP Recommended

There are no AMD Black Edition CPUs that are compatible with any HP desktop PC.

That is what the problem is related to. Black Edition CPUs are special CPUs that have unlocked multipliers for enthusiast grade motherboards. You couldn't acces the multipliers to overclock the CPU with the motherboard you installed it to anyway.  

Even if you choose, purchase and install one of the CPUs listed in the Maintenance & service Guide there is no guarantee by HP that it will operate.

You should also be aware that installing a CPU other than the one that your desktop was delivered with will void the warranty.

Sorry to bear bad news.

The good news is that the CPUs listed in the Maintenence & Service guide are known, from reports of upgrading in the threads in the forum, to work.

Best regards,
erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended
Well I learned something today! Thank you for your help erico, it is much appreciated. I just got the RMA authorization from newegg and I know which CPU to order now. I really appreciate you fast and detailed reply, it is much appreciated.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.