Question

Student
Radu_Costin
Message 1 of 8 (31,237 Views)

EliteBook 8460p Fingerprint Sensor

I'm trying for about 3 days to install fingerprint sensor for my new HP 8460p notebook. The fingerprint sensor is Validity VFS471. The driver is installed, HP ProtectTools is installed but I don't have any option for Fingerprint enrollment in ProtectTools. 

I have used a ThinkPad T61 for about 3 years and I'm starting to miss it... 

Honor Student
Igor2001
Message 2 of 8 (30,419 Views)

Re: EliteBook 8460p Fingerprint Sensor

Same problem with 8560p. I miss my old nc8430. everything worked, even fingerprint.

HP Support said that logon with fingerprint is not possible with this model. Come on.

I tried windows XP clean, windows 7 clean, HP preload, HP restore, HPwin 7 DVD, different versions of Validity driver and even several Protect tools versions (from 4-5 years old, 2 years old and recent). All the time the same. What I noticed was that there is no difference in protect tools whether fingerprint driver is installed or not. It is simply not recognized by the PT.

And also changed the built in SSD for 5400 HDD. Boot time was 4 minutes without with default HP preinstaled software.

Slowly going crazy because of HP being unresponsive.

Have a nice day, Igor

Honor Student
pjcwik
Message 3 of 8 (30,108 Views)

I got it to work!!!

This is a 3 step process

1) Download the Validity finger print reader driver--this only enables the reader as a device

2) Download the HP ProtectTools Security Manager--this is the main software for their security software

3) Download the DigitalPersona software--this an add in to the ProtectTools software

I did it in the wrong order so I got a lot of... This is incompatible errors, but after installing the driver, the other software worked.  I just ran my finger over the reader and it asked me to enroll.  

Works like a charm.

I don't have the locations of everything as I searched in the wrong order for the software, but everything was called spXXXXX.exe with the XXXXXX being the number of the file.

Hope this helps!

Sheriff Pete

Honor Student
Igor2001
Message 4 of 8 (30,078 Views)

The HP service changed the fingerprint sensor. After that it worked with several drivers and several SW versions of Protect tools security manager.

HP Digital Persona was not installed at all.

Igor
Honor Student
pjcwik
Message 5 of 8 (30,068 Views)

You are correct.  After uninstalling everything and reinstalling piece by piece.  It does appear that only 2 steps are needed.  1) The Validity Driver 2)HP ProtectTools.

Student
agdot
Message 6 of 8 (30,027 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello!

Same Sh.., different model ... I have an EliteBook 8560p, the fingerprint reader is driving me crazy ...

It worked in the very first time I after I bought it.

But after some time it was no longer recognized by HP's "great" ProtectTools.

In the device manager the fingerprint sensor VFS471 is shown without any error, its driver seems ok..

I have tried everything I could imagine and find with google, deinstalled driver and ProtectTools, installed the latest versions and even older ones ...

Without any success: CredentialManger does not show a fingerprint reader and therefore it won't work ...

Any other ideas for a desperate 8560p owner?

Might it be a hardware issue?

I hope somebody can give me some tips ...

Regards ...

Andy

Honor Student
tsaidick
Message 7 of 8 (25,178 Views)

[ Edited ]

for win7_32 fingerprint

you need to install 2  driver

1.sp54614 Validity fingerprinter sensor

2.sp50255 HP ProtectTools

3.sp47904 HP SimplePass Identity Protection is a fingerprint management security software

Student
Galant
Message 8 of 8 (12,516 Views)

You are the man it works perfectly,
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation