EliteBook 8530, quicklaunch wifi/volume buttons (3586 Views)
Honor Student
Wooly_Shambler
Message 1 of 5 (3,586 Views)

EliteBook 8530, quicklaunch wifi/volume buttons

I have an EliteBook 8530w or p (not really sure what to call it any more; I'll explain later).
Sometimes the wifi button on the Quicklaunch strip will quit working and appear orange (off). The only way to get the wireless turned on is with the mute or volume buttons. Those buttons still function properly; mute turns sound on/off, and volume will go up and down. So to get the wireless light blue (on) I have to adjust the volume. All of this goes away when I restart the computer, but the problem is so rare that I can't figure out what causes it. The only pattern that I have noticed is that this problem occurs after waking the computer up from sleep mode. However it doesn't always do this after sleep.

I have tried reinstalling/updating the Quicklaunch driver but that did not fix it.

about 8530w/p (not sure if this is related to the problem but...)
I purchased a refurbished EliteBook 8530w and I received an 8530w with a screen that was labeled 8530p. The computer was having mouse issues and the HP tech guy on the phone determined that it was a problem with the system board. I sent in my laptop to have the system board changed and they put in an 8530p system board. I called and complained and they informed me that the hardware is the same on both system boards. The story gets a lot more complicated but that's the summary. The first time that I had the issue with the Quicklaunch buttons was before I sent my laptop in for a systemboard replacement. So I am guessing that the Quicklaunch strip is not part of the system board.
Also, I have the 8530w version of the driver installed. Should I try the 8530p version, or would it matter?

I wish I could give more info about how to make this problem occur. If anyone has ideas on that, feel free to share.
Professor
Charles001
Message 2 of 5 (3,573 Views)

Re: EliteBook 8530, quicklaunch wifi/volume buttons

What does your "System Information" say about your model? - a shortcut way to display System Information: FN+Esc

======================================================================================
* I am an HP employee. *

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

***Click on White “Kudos” STAR to say thanks!***
Honor Student
Wooly_Shambler
Message 3 of 5 (3,554 Views)

it says 8530p.
Student
kinzman
Message 4 of 5 (2,917 Views)

I am also having the same issue (sound/volume affecting wifi) on my 8530p which has only just started. I see that this thread contained no answers - is there any solution?

Honor Student
Wooly_Shambler
Message 5 of 5 (2,871 Views)

I don't think I've found a solution but it happens rarely.  And I have not figured out what triggers it, so if you know, please let me know.  I have noticed that it seems to start acting up after bringing the computer out of sleep, though it doesn't always.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation