Question

Honor Student
meisnick
Message 1 of 4 (291 Views)

Elitebook 2540p Fan will not run when unplugged

[ Edited ]

I recently got a lightly used 2540p, I installed windows 7 and all the HP drivers.  The system was running fine until I took it off the charger to use it in another room and it go extremely hot (like burn you through your jeans hot) I loaded up CPU temp and it was reading 210 -217°F I opened the ram panel on the back and the CPU fan is not spinning, I sat down and plugged it in to diagnose it and the fan came back on.

The fan will only spin when its plugged in as soon as I unplug it it stops and starts getting hot.

Tutor
wojtek76
Message 2 of 4 (93 Views)

Re: Elitebook 2540p Fan will not run when unplugged

I have the same,have you fixed it ever?

Honor Student
meisnick
Message 3 of 4 (84 Views)

So I was contacted by a HP representative, who called me and walked through reinstalling bios resetting some settings. Being that this laptop was out of warranty it was awesome that they tried to help. But this did not fix the problem. I ended up returning the laptop to the eBay store I bought it from who said they would return it to their HP vendor and have it diagnosed. They unfortunately never refunded me to this day and blackmailed me into removing the negative feedback from their eBay store by promising to send the refund.

From my experience as a OEM hardware assembler and working for a company that was a HP equipment vendor. I would say that your out of luck, I ripped mine down to the bare motherboard and tied a different fan all the different firmwares and bios. I would say your best bet would be to buy a second hand motherboard on eBay (not from outside the country!) and install it if your really tied to this small form factor laptop like I am. I built one out of eBay parts and am using it right now. I would recommend getting a board with the i5 processor as its just as fast for anything your doing on a laptop and seems to be much more dependable than the i7 model.
Tutor
wojtek76
Message 4 of 4 (78 Views)

thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation