Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Elitebook 840 G2
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Videos don't display but sound is heard, unless you keep moving the mouse pointer(Then it displays video. Web pages also freeze, you cannot scroll up/down unless the mouse pointer is being moved. All of this tends to happen when running on battery.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Not sure if anyone really cares anymore, but the IE hardware acceleration workaround helped some, but only on videos online. Videos played driectly from the PC like WMV videos in windows media player still had issues with freezing. If anyone is curious, I finally resolved the issue by switching to an Aero theme and then back to the original theme. The only thing I notice changing is the Windwos Basic Colors. Which shouldn't have been set that way anyway. I had an aero theme already, but the colors were still Basic. Making this change fix all issues. Don't even have to check the acceleration option in IE either. 

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Have found problem to be with ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery. It has two of them loaded, if I delete them laptop works perfectly. On reboot they are installed again and problem returns

HP Recommended

No fix from HP?

Guess better to get rid of it and go back to Dell

HP Recommended

Same problem. OnBattery freeze. OnAC not-freeze.

HP Recommended

Mine is somehow fixed, must have been a Windows or HP update

HP Recommended

Mine is doing the same issue. Tried several driver updates and nothing has fixed it. I have started trying Windows Updates, but am trying to pinpoint the exact one. Is yours still working now? Which windows update group do you think the fix came from? The September updates or the August ones? Working may way through the September ones with no luck so far...

HP Recommended

Mine is working, but not sure what fixed it

HP Recommended

Desperation!

All Windows Update install (Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise (64-bit) @ 17. Sept. 2015.

All HP Update install (also the new BISO V1.09)  @ 17. Sept. 2015.

Screen freezing & Sound runs = without ACpower, Plugged ACpower all runs.

NOTE: If the display-port is plugged in = there is also NO freezing (ACpower is unplugged)

HP Recommended
Yeah. I've still got the same issue. I've tried updates as well with no luck. Also noticed that plugging in a video cable seems to make it run fine as well.
HP Recommended

I can solve the problem for me - with https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2528233

Let me fix it myself (as long as the HP does not provide, and the problem does not want to understand.)

How to enable or disable software rendering in Internet Explorer:

To disable hardware acceleration, follow these steps:
1) Click Start, and then click Internet Explorer.
2) Click the Tools icon in the upper-right corner, and then click Internet Options.
3) Click the Advanced tab, and then under Accelerated graphics, select the Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering check box.

4) Click Apply, and then click OK.
5) Close Internet Explorer and then restart it so that the change takes effect.
To enable hardware acceleration again, follow the previous steps, but in step 3, clear the Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering check box.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.