Question

Top Student
Rich86385
Message 1 of 7 (8,794 Views)

Elitebook 8440p - recovery disc creation & booting from an external drive

[ Edited ]

I have a brand new Elitebook 8440p & I have a couple of issues that I cannot seem to resolve.

1.  I expected to get some sort of system install, or recovery or repair discs - or the ability to create such disks with this laptop.  Nothing came with it, and I cannot find any place to create some sort of system recovery disks, nor is there anything listed for this laptop on the HP site to acquire them from HP.  I am not comfortable having no way to recover this computer should a hard disk go south.  Any ideas how to create or get an op system disk or recovery discs or something?

2.  I have an encrypted company/business hard disc inside the laptop for work.  I also have the original hard disk that came with the computer in an external eSata/USB case.  I have configured and installed software on the external drive to include my personal software and programs, leaving the company hard disc inside the laptop for business use only.  However, I cannot make this laptop boot from the external drive if the company drive is inside the laptop.  I have read and tried everything, but if a drive is inside the laptop, it will not boot from the external eSata/USB drive.  If I simply remove the laptop hard drive, it boots perfectly from the external drive via eSata and works fine.  How do I manage to get this laptop to boot from my external drive without having to remove the internal hard drive?

Any help or ideas someone can offer are greatly appreciated.  Thanks very much.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 7 (8,763 Views)

Re: Elitebook 8440p - recovery disc creation & booting from an external drive

[ Edited ]

Hi, Rich:

If you live in the USA or Canada, you can get a set of restore disks from HP for $10. I am surprised you didn't get a set but maybe they only come with the business desktops.

Here is how you order them:

1.  Write down the part number and serial # on bottom of the computer on the white tag.  The model # is an HP-Compaq 8440p, but the part number will be found on that white tag below the serial #.

2. Call HP at 1-800-952-7689, option 1 (ordering restore disks is part of the list in the option).

3. Provide the info asked by the rep that answers the phone. Some just ask for the serial #, some want both, or they will just want the serial number and type of computer (8440p).

4. Have a Master Card or Visa ready for purchasing. They don't take Discover. You will be charged $10.00.

You will receive the disks by First Class Mail or you can pay an additional $10.00 for FedEx shipping.

Sorry, I can't answer your second question. I assume you have already tried hitting the F9 key at the HP splash screen to select the device to boot from?

Paul

Top Student
Rich86385
Message 3 of 7 (8,757 Views)

Thanks for the info on the recovery discs - I will call tomorrow.

Regarding the booting - yes, I've tried the esc - F9 key approach.  I can't seem to make it work if there is a drive mounted in the latop itself (it will only boot from the internal drive no matter what I do).  If I remove the drive from inside the laptop, the external drive boots just fine.

Top Student
Rich86385
Message 4 of 7 (8,722 Views)

I just ordered the recovery discs for my 8440p - they were free as long as I was OK with US Mail (which is fine since the machine is working fine and these are for any potential future hard disc disasters).  Thanks for the help.  I think I'll open up a new thread for the booting question/issue in case someone has ideas about that.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 5 of 7 (8,718 Views)

That's a good idea to re-post.

Maybe the disks were free because your PC is still under warranty. I have always had to pay $10 for business desktop/notebook restore disks but all of mine were out of warranty. I buy second hand HP business PC's for my own use and then get the restore disks to have for the future as well. Or, if the PC doesn't come with a hard drive, or the OS was wiped off the HDD before the PC was sold, I get an OS for $10.

I can't tell you how many poor folks have bought a full retail OS for their purchased used HP business PC's, not knowing they could have gotten restore disks for cheap. In some countries they are free.

Good luck with your other issue.

Paul

Honor Student
Lwin
Message 6 of 7 (7,568 Views)

Hi,

Could you please send me the link to buy recovery disc?

Thank you.

Lwin

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 7 of 7 (7,565 Views)

Hi:

Please contact HP Worldwide Support by telephone for the country you live in at the link below.

If they have a separate number for Business PC's/Notebooks call that number. You will need to provide the model number and serial number to the customer services representative like above.

The cost for the disks will range from free to more than $10 USD depending on where you live.

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/wwcontact_us.html

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation