Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I have an strange behaviour on my laptop, when I enable VT-x in bios, CPUid (http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html) shows it as disabled. 

If I disable VT-x CPUid shows it as enabled.. 

But in either case, i cannot install IntelHaxm (Android emulator), and VMwhare Workstation cannot create 64bit vm's, which worked flawlessly before.

It seems that this might have happened around the time I upgraded Windows8 to 8.1, but I am not too sure, I guess Hyper-V doesn't disable other applications ability to see VT-x?

My cpu is an i7-3610QM which supports VT-x according to ark.intel.com

I'm using Bios F43, but have tried to restore F31 to see if it was bios related, but same behaviour.

I have also cleared bios defaults, and also used BCU to try to configure, but nothing happens, CPUid reports the oposite as Bios settings (BCU reports same as bios settings so that's fine)

What can be wrong?

Others in my office with the same computer have no problems, but they have installed windows 8.1 from scratch though

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Found the solution, it was Hyper-V that stole the VT-x status, so all other apps did not get info about the proper VT-x status, even if I did not use Hyper-V. 

Not sure where Hyper-V came from, if it was Win 8.1 or VS 2013's mobile tools, but anyhow, using bcdedit diplayed that "hypervisorlaunchtype" was set to auto, setting this to off using:

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off

solved the whole problem, now i can use vmware and intel haxm again..

what a load of crap.. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Found the solution, it was Hyper-V that stole the VT-x status, so all other apps did not get info about the proper VT-x status, even if I did not use Hyper-V. 

Not sure where Hyper-V came from, if it was Win 8.1 or VS 2013's mobile tools, but anyhow, using bcdedit diplayed that "hypervisorlaunchtype" was set to auto, setting this to off using:

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off

solved the whole problem, now i can use vmware and intel haxm again..

what a load of crap.. 

HP Recommended

I have the same problem, but my OS is Windows 7. I did the same thing as described solution for Windows 8.1, but it doesn't work for me. Can any one help? Thanks!

HP Recommended

It is resolved as follows:

1. Reboot

2. Press ESC, then select F10

3. Go to System Configuration tab

4. Go to Device Configuration (not Set Security Level)

5. Move to Virtualization Technology (VTx), and check the box

6. Save and boot

After these steps, I successfully enable VTx and installed Intel HAXM.

HP Recommended
Hello

I tried to obtain bios password , but I fail

Could you please share the oficial procedure to get it?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.