Question

Honor Student
purplecollie
Message 1 of 4 (4,662 Views)

Empty recovery partition - corrupted recovery partition

My system originally had a functioning recovery partition (d:\).  I was also backing up to a cavalry unit using Acronis software. Then I blew up my registry and did a full restore from a 4 month old full backup. Wanted more free space and used acronis software to remove some things, at which point acronis software changed my partition sizes and tried to write back to the recovery partition (getting all sorts of errors).

Now my c: drive has space.... but the recovery partition (d:\) is totally corrupt and I can't guarantee it's still at factory set size. I think it is....

Not to mention that my full backup is gone from the cavalry unit (me and acronis just don't get along). 

**1. Is there a way that I Can only restore the recovery partition from the recovery dvd's I  made?? (not the whole hard drive)

2. The recovery partition shows empty in windows with zero data, and says it's corrupted.

Would an "undelete" program or a partition manager program help me here?

3.  Acronis tech support recommended doing a windows system restore point to an earlier date.....  But I don't see how that would revive my d: partition.

4 . And if I use my recovery dvd's, what happens to all my current software on the c: drive (not to mention data files, photos, music....). I'm still running the original windows vista. My PC is a HP Pavilion a6130n with vista home premium.

Many many thanks!

PhD Student
Gangles
Message 2 of 4 (4,638 Views)

Re: Empty recovery partition - corrupted recovery partition

1)No

2)No, but you can check in control panel/administrator tools to see if the correct drive letter is associated with it and if the file system is healthy

3)System restore only restores registry entries so the answer is no here too unless it is 3rd party software conflicting with the  drive

4)The notebook will go back to factory condition out of the box. All software/data that did not originally come with the machine will be lost

Signature:
I currently work on behalf of HP for numerous support departments. The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of myself, not of HP. There is no guarantee that the opinions expressed are 100% correct.
Honor Student
purplecollie
Message 3 of 4 (4,619 Views)

Thank you much!

I was told (tonight) in hp chat that a disk recovery with a total disk reformat was my only option. 

I'm backing up my files and downloads to a 3rd location and will then use my recovery disks. 

Caveat -- In Acronis backup software, once you have an Active Recovery Manager loaded on your hard drive, don't Deactivate/remove it since this is what made the software try to change my partitions (not fully documented either).  My c:\ drive is just dandy. My recovery partition is empty or corrupted. And unfortunately an incremental backup was done, so my full system backup image is gone. 

Wish me luck as I rebuild the system this week! :smileyhappy:

Student
mairaj444
Message 4 of 4 (2,035 Views)

[ Edited ]

can you buy a recovery disk from hp for me. i will pay money to you. you purchase from them for me. actually my location is Pakistan. and here is no service of hp to recieve recovery disk directly from hp store. if you are interested to help please contact with me, my email address is {Personal Information Removed}

thanks.

Mairaj Ali.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation