Question

Honor Student
dayZer0
Message 1 of 5 (3,194 Views)

Envy 14 - too Loud! possibly fan issues

Hi

My new envy 14 is annoyingly loud. even when under no load (cpu at 1%).

Even with quiet music you can still here the fan, if you start doing more demanding tasks then the fan gets even louder.

I'm not sure i'd feel comfortable using it somewhere quiet like a library.

I've just updated the bios to the latest version and nothing changed.

Most other laptops i've come across are far quieter, like you have to put your ear close in a quiet room to hear the fan and cpu.

Please help!

This is spoiling my enjoyment of an otherwise pretty good laptop.

Intern
AeSix
Message 2 of 5 (3,182 Views)

Re: Envy 14 - too Loud! possibly fan issues

I'd say either the laptop was build with too strong of a fan or there's a build up of dust and other matter in the fan and vents.

Can you feel the air coming out of the vents? Is it a strong flow or barely feel it?

Try using a can of compressed air, turn the laptop off, unplug it, and remove the battery, and blow air into the exhaust vents, in the intake vents and anywhere else there is anything but smooth, solid surface. If you're comfertable taking the keyboard out, removing access panels and the such, you may be able to get rid of more dust that way as well. If you're not comfertable with doing that, just blow through the laptop as much as you can. Let it sit for a good 5 minutes before you turn it on, just in case there is a build up of moisture.

Other than that, the fan could possibly be going bad and is in need of being replaced.

Hope this helps!
AeSix

Honor Student
dayZer0
Message 3 of 5 (3,173 Views)

it's brand new and has been this way since the start so i doubt it's a fan problem.

Thanks for the suggestion though. any other thoughts?

Honor Student
dayZer0
Message 4 of 5 (3,145 Views)

Can anyone from HP shed any light on this situation?

I want to know if I should take this back to the retailer

Thanks

Honor Student
autoentrepreneu
Message 5 of 5 (3,107 Views)

I have the exact same issue with one of the fan of my HP Envy !

It's like something is vibrating within the fan, but I checked everything seems ok. I removed any remaining dust... but it's the same.

I also read other similar issues on other forums with some fans within HP Envy... must be a bad series or what else ?

The only solution I see is changin this damned fan.

Reference was hard to see on the fan itself, but here it is:

DC Brushless

Model KSB0505HD

DC 05V    0,40A  9B1K

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation