Question

Tutor
brinko99
Message 1 of 3 (8,205 Views)

Envy 15, Ambient Light Sensor, Adaptive Brightness

I have a new Envy 15-1050NR and find the Ambient light sensor to not work well.

With Adaptive Brightness enabled, the display brightness is changing (up and down) much to often and for no good reason.  Even in a room with static lighting, Adaptive Brightness finds reason to change.

This problem is very, very annoying.  Is there a driver or something than can be upgraded to improve this issue?  It would be great to be able to adjust the sensitivity of this feature.

I've had to resort to disable Adaptive Brightness:

See Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Power Options -> Edit Plan Settings -> Change Advanced Power Settings -> Display -> Enable Adaptive Brightness.

It is also possible to disable the Ambient Light Sensor, but I believe this would effectively disable the webcam's low light sensitivity features.

Update:  I found a document from Microsoft describing to computer manufacturers how to take advantage of Adaptive Brightness.  It is possible to tune Adaptive Brightness by way of registry keys.  It is possible to completely change the response curve (ambient light reading vs. display brightness.  Also you can adjust the sensitivity and response interval.

I'm going to play around with these settings.  I bet by adjusting the sensitivity, I'll be able to alleviate the trouble with Adaptive Brightness on the Envy 15.

See:

Integrating Ambient Light Sensors with Windows 7 Computers (Doc)

Integrating Ambient Light Sensors with Windows 7 Computers (HTML)

-- Terrence Jones

Terenity.com

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 3 (8,187 Views)

Re: Envy 15, Ambient Light Sensor, Adaptive Brightness

HI,

The HP Envy Forum is where you should take a look for answers. You might very well find another owner with the same issue who has resolved it.

regards,
erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****
You can say thanks by clicking on the Kudos thumbs up icon

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Retired
ThatGarenGuy
Message 3 of 3 (7,507 Views)

Re: Envy 15, Ambient Light Sensor, Adaptive Brightness

HP is working on this matter and created a new post to help everyone see the latest information more quickly and easily.  This older post will be locked, so please post to the new one here: Envy 15 Purple Webcam Issue

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation