Question

Honor Student
Vanburen
Message 1 of 8 (9,946 Views)

Envy 15: Replace Hard drive without voiding the warranty?

I am thinking about getting the Envy 15-1110EA.

Is it possible to replace the Harddrive without voiding the warranty? Since in the Envy I think it is neccessary to open the case.

If it does void the warranty is it possible to get a new hard drive installed without voiding the warranty e.g. through a service centre?

Intern
iMaxx
Message 2 of 8 (9,821 Views)

Re: Envy 15: Replace Hard drive without voiding the warranty?

Unfortunately, it would because getting to the HDD requires a partial disassembly of the unit.

The user replaceable parts would be the battery, and the two RAM slots that are located in the battery bay (If the model has that configuration.)

-----

iMaxx” VOODOO PC / HP LEGACY GAMING SERVICE MANAGER - Nextbench Admin

“Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.”
Honor Student
Vanburen
Message 3 of 8 (9,811 Views)

iMaxx wrote:

Unfortunately, it would because getting to the HDD requires a partial disassembly of the unit.

The user replaceable parts would be the battery, and the two RAM slots that are located in the battery bay (If the model has that configuration.)

Thanks for the info iMaxx.

If i got an envy and wanted to upgrade the harddrive to an SSD, is there anyway to do that after purchase without voiding the warranty? Could I take it into a service centre or something? 

Intern
iMaxx
Message 4 of 8 (9,739 Views)

You can take it to an ASP (Authorised Service Provider) and the can install the upgraded HD.

But the original warranty will not cover the new drive.

Also best to check to see what drives the Envy 15 will take before upgrading, too. :smileyhappy:

At present, the SSD that is listed on the configuration page is the 160G SSD (Doubling them brings them to 320G). I do no know for sure if larger SSD's will work.

-----

Intern
alrtech
Message 5 of 8 (9,724 Views)

Replacing a drive yourself would not per se void the warranty. However, keep in mind that if you do happen to need warranty work done somewhere down the road, the unit would only be covered in the original hardware configuration it's in when you get it. In other words, if you put your own HDD in, make sure you keep the factory drive around to put back in the machine if you need to have the unit serviced. And, of course, and damage done to the system as a result of swapping the drive would of course not be covered.

While I am an HP employee, I am not a expert on all our products. If I offer advice, I'm not speaking for HP on how to solve an issue, but I'll do my personal best to help you.
Intern
iMaxx
Message 6 of 8 (9,720 Views)

[ Edited ]

alrtech wrote:

Replacing a drive yourself would not per se void the warranty. *snip*

In the case of the Envy 15 it probably will. It requires a full disassembly in order to get to the drives. They are not considered user replaceable parts. If a user replaces them, the warranty could be declared void.

Not a chance that should be taken.

-----

Intern
iMaxx
Message 7 of 8 (9,717 Views)

UPDATE: I found out more info in regards to upgrading to SSD's.

The Envy 15 does have two SSD's in it, but they are 1.8" drivers not 2.5". So, if you wanted to put 2x SSD's, you'd need to get 1.8" version plus another card that they plug into that then plugs into the mobo.

The other option would be a single 2.5" SSD.

So: dual with an adapter board, or a 2.5" single.

-----

Intern
colesdav
Message 8 of 8 (6,355 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi 

To install dual SSD's in an HP envy 15 in RAID 0 configuration you need to put 2 1.8" SSD's into the 2.5" drive bay.
To do this you need this bracket, and 2 connector leads. Here are some pictures I found during my searches on the WEB.

!BrojG!!Bmk~$(KGrHqYH-CIEvLH4UTt!BL0fr7C,Y!~~_12.JPG

Question 1. Does anyone in HP know the Part Number for this dual 1.8" SSD Bracket?

I cannot find it anywhere on the web or via HP PartSurfer. 

I would like to order this bracket if it is worthwhile. 

Here is a picture of the dual SSDs inside an Envy 15 (lower RHS of picture). 

interior-1-full.jpg

My next questions. 

Question 2. Is it worthwhile putting 2 SSDs in Raid 0 configuration in an HP Envy 15 (original release) today?

Question 3. Has SSD technology moved on in the past 1.5 years such that  the read / write speed of the latest single 2.5" SSD is faster/ as fast as the motherboard in the HP Envy 15 can handle anyhow? 

Question 4. Is there any documentation from HP on how to set up dual SSD's in RAID 0 if it is worthwhile today? 

Question 5. Is there a recommended 2.5" SSD for the HP Envy 15?

I would really appreciate a response from someone in the HP Envy Technical Team on this if possible.

Thanks 

colesdav

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation