Question

Student
Miguel_Riveiro
Message 1 of 2 (289 Views)

Envy-17 Optical Drive replacement for HDD/SSD

[ Edited ]

Hello!!!

I just received my lovely Envy 17-j011sa and I'm really happy with its performance.

But a little question has assaulted me.

I've added a 2nd Hard Drive, a 500gb ssd, and everything seems perfect, but due to software requierements i'm forced to use a third drive too.

I'd have no problem attaching a drive thru usb3, but that means is not easily portable anymore.

I've been reading that in some HP laptops, like the Zbook, you can replace the optical drive with a caddy for adding an extra hdd/ssd.

Is that possible on mine one. If so, does HP sell the replacement? (i would feel much more relaxed having an oficial replacement)

Many thanks in advance.

Kindly yours.

Miguel.

There is always a workaround... The question is: does it worth it?
HP Support Agent
TwoPointOh
Message 2 of 2 (245 Views)

Re: Envy-17 Optical Drive replacement for HDD/SSD

Hi Miguel_Riveiro, welcome to the HP Forums.  Looking at page 55 of the Maintenance and Service Guide; the list of available optical drive bay parts does not include the drive caddy you are referring to.

While I am not sure if this exists in official capacity, you can always contact support to enquire to the possibility.

HP technical support: 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region please click the link HERE to get the support number for your region.

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation