Question

Tutor
Specialproject
Message 1 of 11 (194 Views)

Envy M6 overheating and shutting down

[ Edited ]

My Envy M6 is just about to hit the one year back, within two months of buying it I had to have the clicking hard drive replaced, later on had to send away for a new screen after a defective panel broke. I am not streaming or using any intensive programs, the system randomly shuts down due to overheating even with just a few tabs open in Chrome and no background processes. I am looking into scans and software problems and so far am finding no cause. I always using a cooling pad, and at times this takes place on a coffee table in a 60 degree living room. 

Grad Student
Zincas
Message 2 of 11 (188 Views)

Re: Envy M6 overheating and shutting down

Hi Speciaclproject,

Have you tried to run a Memmory test from F2 when you boot up your unit?

else test with Coretemp or Furmark to see how warm your computer is. What I understand is it under 1 year still. I will recommend you to contact you contrys HP support department for maybe a repair on the heatsink or Cooling Fan.

Br

Zincas.

Best regards
Zincas
I work on behalf of HP
Tutor
Specialproject
Message 3 of 11 (184 Views)

Just updated the BIOS, testing it all day to see if that helps. Will run an F2 test if it occurs again. 

Tutor
Specialproject
Message 4 of 11 (153 Views)

[ Edited ]

Updating the BIOS did nothing. I keep trying to run memory scans from F2, the computer is now shutting down excessively and can't complete a full scan.  The Quick Scan detected nothing. 

Grad Student
Zincas
Message 5 of 11 (150 Views)

Okay thanks for your answer.

I will recommend you to run Core temp

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

and test your gpu with furmark.

http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

Best regards
Zincas
I work on behalf of HP
Tutor
Specialproject
Message 6 of 11 (147 Views)

13 minutes into the test, so far the high has been 97 C. 

Grad Student
Zincas
Message 7 of 11 (133 Views)

Hi,

I will recommend you to contact HP support if it under 1 year and if it's over contact you retailer. So they can get it to repair for overhating "Can be Fan or Heatsink"

Best regards
Zincas
I work on behalf of HP
Tutor
Specialproject
Message 8 of 11 (129 Views)

Have contacted HP. This is the third contact with their warranty department since buying this laptop. First a clicking hard drive, then a defective screen panel which cracked on its own, now this. 

Grad Student
Zincas
Message 9 of 11 (127 Views)

Dont you have some kind of law there says how many times it can go to repair before they should give your the money back or a new computer?

Best regards
Zincas
I work on behalf of HP
Tutor
Specialproject
Message 10 of 11 (125 Views)

If so, that would be fantastic. I'm switching brands whenever this one has to be replaced, three major warranty inquiries within the first year is a failed product. I'm not a gamer or any type of heavy user, this is just for Office documents, web browsing and occasional Netflix use.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation