Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HI BigBluebalou,

No need to worry about your response time.  I know we all have busy lives and can not just drop everything to stop and troubleshoot computers. 

I suggest you verify you have the recommended drivers for the graphics and chipset.  If you believe there was an update being done just before it quit responding you could try uninstalling that update.

If you are still experiencing an issue, I suggest contacting HP support for assistance.

Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside of the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. Phone Assist Worldwide

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Hello All,   I'm Back.

Sparkles, thank you for your time.  My Uncle would always hand me a quarter and say call someone whos cares.  Sparky you make me right at home, but with out the quarter.

This is what have decided to do.  Since I over wrote the original thumb drive from when i first purchased the old blue box, I going to secure a copy of what should have been the original OS from HP.  I see there is a way to order one.  Then I'm going to start from scratch and reinstall everything. A new beginning. Coming out of hibernation, if you want the pun.  Then I'm going to reinstall the updates so I can keep track of them as they are installed.   Recently i have lost the ability to stay calm.  I have lost other features, like second screen without disabling display adapter drives, starting to freeze at certain times ...etc.. After exploring this site and other sites, the  old blue box is demonstrating some of the same symptoms others laptops are.   Since I'm getting ready to start over, no need for you to hear my additional complaints, that's why we have bar tenders.  and it gives me the excuse to drink. 

After doing a little homework at the local watering hole (rednecks take on internet cafe),  I believe myself and others are down loading drives not meant for our machines.  But, I have downloaded all urgent and recommended updates and a few optionals ones.  So like all good bar hopping, whiskey drinking, irresponcible stool warming patrons,it's not my fault.  I am blaming this on HP for not providing an accurate list of updates that I should have. And providing more than what I need, like a kid in a candy store.   Jimmy Buffet says "there's a woman to blame", and Sparkie your the closest one standing to me.  (bahhahhah)

Okay. Give me a couple more weeks to order the Back Up OS and reset the old blue box.  Then we'll have a toast to success.   

The Big Blue One.... over and out.

p.s. either you have real pretty eyes or Johnny Walker kick me the head again.

HP Recommended

Good Morning @BigBlueBalou,

Thank you for your reply, you have made my day!Smiley LOL

As Jimmy Buffet says there is always a woman to blame and here I am.

You should not have to order recovery material as  your notebook  came with a recovery partition.

As a refresh has not helped I would do a recovery back to factory. Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 😎

As this will format the drive and reinstall  the Operating System, to prevent data loss they have provided the opportunity to backup those files during the process.

Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows 😎

You should be able to do the minimized image recovery.  It will not reinstall trial software or games.

If you should need to obtain a recovery kit, contact HP support and explain the issue you had with the first Recovery USB you created.  They will be able to direct you to acquiring the recovery kit.

Good Luck and have one for me as it is 5:00 o'clock somewhere!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

This problem just started for me two days ago. I tried everything. System Restore. System Refresh. Spent WAY too long trying to find the drivers for the touchscreen to ty and manually update them.  

Few things I've noticed while trying to troubleshoot this mess;

The keyboard icon will flash in the bottom right corner sometimes and on those rare occasions I can almost use my touchscreen. 

I can only see some of the specific drivers in the Device Manager when I can see the keyboard icon. tscreenworking.PNG

And when the keyboard icon isn't showing

tscreennotworking.PNG

The most annoying part of this problem is that my mouse pointer shows the 'working' circle ALL THE TIME! It never stops. 

Why is it SO hard to try and get a genuine acknowledgement of the issue out of HP? It seems that the internal connection is the problem(based on multiple forum topics talking about the issue) but HP seems to be pretending that the connection doesn't even exist. Any help would be great. I'm a poor graduate student that can't afford a new computer. Sad to say that this laptop is worth more to me than my car. Please help...

HP Recommended

Hi @jswis 

Welcome to the HP Forums!Smiley Happy

It is a terrific place to find answers.
For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide Learn How to Post and More

How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

i grasp that your Touchscreen options comes and goes.

Have you checked for  and malware? Malicious Software Removal Tool

Have you ran the Windows troubleshooter?

Have you ran the HP Support Assistant  to look for updates and help overcome difficulties?

Here is a link to Troubleshooting touch screen issues in Windows 8 that may also help. I assumed that you are running Windows 8  as you did not provide your Operating System or your exact model of Ultrabook 4 ( HP produced may model)

If the issue should still remain and the cause has not become known, I suggest contacting HP support for assistance.  They can remotely access your system to aid with alleviating issues.

Please call our technical support at 800 474 6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get a support number for your region.

World Wide Phone Support

Best of Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended
My model is the exact same as the OP and everyone else that's posted here. I tried all of those things that you listed off and more. I emailed support and they told me I'm up the creek because my warranty had expired in January. I thought the pictures from my original post would have shown the problem. It's pretty much clear what the problem is. I would love a technical schematic to see what I'm doing when the laptop is opened up.
HP Recommended

Hi @jswis 

I grasp that you would like the  HP ENVY 4 Sleekbook, HP ENVY 4 Ultrabook, HP ENVY TouchSmart 4 Sleekbook,HP ENVY TouchSmart 4 Ultrab...  Chapter 4 is the Removal and Replacement procedures. 

You will also have a list of the recommended replacement parts.

Good Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

I'm back.  First off, i don't have a lot of time to be toubleshooting, so pardon me if this takes a little time to respond. 

Whats new is ----------I  decided to upgate to W 8.1 from W8.  Took over 3days to do.  Had to update a 136 upates from Microsoft before i could update.  I was surpised to see that many updates needed because I kept updates on auto.  Had get back up exernial drive to back up to clear personal stuff off internal hard drive. 

Then the thumbdrive I used as the original back up copy of the operating system (one time back up when purchased computer) was not recognized.  But I was able to make another copy.  It stored it as a Fat file and maybe thats why the back up copy didn't work.  Therefore i'm concerned i don't have a copy of my original software. 

Over the course of three days I was able to get W8.1 to stick.  That was 10/20/14.

Still no Pen and Touch

Today, I turn on the blue box and imieditaly i notice pen and touch working.

Went to system screen and Pen and Touch - full windows touch with 10 touch pionts  or pionts touch.  but under processor, installed memory, computer disciption, and workgroup all had "not availible"  like the system info page didn't finish loading.

Went to device manager, and under HID Touch Screen and Radio Controls were the only two items listed. 

Then went to properties of Touch Screen click details and started to write some of the details down. 

The first installed date is 10/23/14  11:26:21am

Install date  is the same

Last arrival date is 10/23/14  11:40:08am (got this number later)

Last removal is  10/23/14  11:41:32am  (got this number later)

It seemed the blue box was still working in the background. My first thought was its connecting to the internet for updates.  so i hit the F12 key trying to shut off the radio to the net.  I was hoping to preserve the pen and touch "on" to observe the state of the machine before it finished updating. 

There was no responce to F12 button.

then a liitle later lost Pen and Touch 

Even though i lost pen and touch, its still list under hided HID devices in  device manager

And there are other HID's listed under hidden devices the only two lisedt as active (un hidden) are radio control and radio buttom 

So I explored some of the other devices with showing hidden devices

Device manager in View by device connection

Computer Id Name

to ACPI x 64

to Microsoft ACPI-Complaint system

to PCI Express Root Complex

to Intel(r) 7 series/C216 Chipset family USB Enhanced Host Controller-1E2D

to USB Root Hub

to Generic USB Hub-  2 sub listing under this heading.

1st-Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 BlueTooth.......

2nd

HP Recommended

Ok people i'm back once again. And my pen and touch screen still does not work.

Finally got time to deal with the pen and touch screen issue.  First off I'm giving this computer to my 15 yr old daughter. So she is the motivating factor of getting this handled. 

I have purchased the system restore thumb drive from HP. 

I feel there should be no reason for my pen and touch screen not to work. 

I have removed the windows particion.  Then booted from thumb drive.  This should have restarted me as if it was day one of buying my computer.  As  you can see I don"t have a lot of time for such issues.  I've been looking at the Envy Touchsmart with the fold back key board for my own.  Advertised at Best Buy.  I will NEVER  buy another Dell because of thier poor customer service.  I have gone out of my way to make sure any issue was not my creation.  Now I expect HP to walk me through fixing my Pen and Touch screen issue . 

My system screen says "no pen and touch not availible"   

You have my email 

Thank You

(My daughter is getting very impatent)

HP Recommended

In addition there is no touch screen drivers hidden in the HID of device manager.  I can't find touch screen drivers any where in the device manager, hidden or not.  Looked in USB also. 

I should have had the touch screen drivers with the new thumb drive from HP and they should have been installed.  This tells me this is a HP issue .  Your updates need to be looked at.  I understand that there is an issue with someHP HDMI capable laptop loosing some capacity with newer driver up dates.  

If I wanted bad support I would have bought a Dell. 

Hoping HP saves my business   

BBB 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.