Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

My computer is a HP Probook 4530s, Win 7 Pro, and I am the only administrator, so I don't have any other support.

I'm receiving the following error after entering password and/or fingerprint authentication:

cAfee Endpoint Encryption for PC v6.1

EpePC has been corrupted (error92h)

Even thou the error message appears to be for a McAfee encryption product, in reality it is Drive Encryption for HP ProtectTools which was apparently modified from the McAfee product.

The problem started after using a third party defragmenter set to do a boot time defrag.    I believe the defrag software moved some "unmovable" files thus corrupting the harddrive.  I have attempted to use several recovery boot disks, e.g. Wintech, EEtech, DiskTech.  I have narrowed the correct (?) utility down to "DiskTech2011".  I have followed the instructions provided with the recovery tool but receive the following error after attempting to authenticate with the .dat file on the USB drive:

Error EE120009

Recovery Key Data Invalid

The recovery key file should be valid, as it was created (2/21/2012) at the time of initial encryption, so I don't know why it won't work.

Within the last two months I did all the HP updates that were available so I assume that I have the latest version of Drive Encryption for HP ProtectTools, but I don't know for sure.

I notice in the BIOS Security, User Management, HP ProtectTools Users setting that I am a "user".  Is this what it should be, or should I be an administrator?

I have not done a fixmbr, as I believe the mbr is controlled by the encryption software, so I may make things worse than they already are by doing a fixmbr.  But I am not sure?

Any suggestions on how to get DiskTech2011 to accept my recovery key, or any other suggestion on how to access my data would be appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I work for HP.

If DiskTech fails to allow you read access, there is no other customer based option to take.

If you're able and willing to send the drive to HP, there is further action that may result in restoration of the data.  This process does take some time, but is worth considering if the data on the drive was not backed up and cannot be replaced.

The HP Support Center can log a call and send the information to the appropriate team, who will contact you with instructions for sending the drive and encryption key in to HP.

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply.  Not really the answer I was hoping for, but it is the answer I expected.  I have started the re-imageing process on the computer, and will be much more diligent about future backups

Thanks again

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.