Question

Student
galaxiegal89
Message 1 of 2 (2,607 Views)

Error 0xc00000f required device is inaccessible. Windows 7 wont complete reinstall

I have an HP Pavillion dv7 Notebook with AMD Turion dual core proccesor and 500GB 5400rpm SATA hard drive; I was using it and let the battery deplete and at 7% it went into its power saving mode, so I just left it and a couple hours later plugged in the batter and turned it back on and I got a BSOD and then this error came up on a black screen.

"wINDOWS FAILED TO START. A RECENT HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE CHANGE MIGHT BE THE CAUSE"

Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

since then I have done all I can think to do, I am somewhat savvy with computers but get lost on some of the lingo. Heres what I have done

I have a windows upgrade disk to Windows 7 home premium 64 bit (which is what I had on the computer) I have run the startup repair, failed. I have opened the command prompt and completed all the bootrec.exe steps. I have tried to reinstall windows 7 completely from both a usb drive and the upgrade disk (when I use the usb it tells me no drivers were found so I don't get very far at all) I got to the part with the partitions and deleted both the primary and recovery (had 100mb storage) and then I hit next and it stays at Copying Windows Files 0% until I get an error (cant recall the exact error) hit ok and try again and still same thing. When I go into bios (which people say to see if it detects the hard drive, my bios has no option for that, it has a Hard Disk Self Test that fails every time and also a memory test that passes. But thats it. At the top it says InsydeH20 Setup Utility.

So now I do not know what else to do. 

Is my hard drive shot? Did it get overheated and now is broken, I can't even reinstall windows.... 

Regents Professor
ManjunathTech
Message 2 of 2 (2,603 Views)

Re: Error 0xc00000f required device is inaccessible. Windows 7 wont complete reinstall

Hi

As you did mention the Hard drive test has failed you need to replace the Hard drive then reinstall the operating system back on the unit. Only then the unit will work fine Please call HP Technical support check for the Warranty of the unit and get the part replaced.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."
****Click the (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post) to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

Regards
Manjunath
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation