Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Product Name and Number: 

HP Pavillion dv6-3120us

OS

Windows 7, Home Premium. 64-bit.

Error Message

"Insert a Disc; Please insert a disc into E: drive."

Background

Pre-installed Windows 7 system on computer recognized CD/DVD ROM drive for about 3 months. Malware corrupted the OS. I re-installed the OS from the recovery drive's partition. CD/DVD ROM drive failed to read or write, and I cannot restore old files or back-up current configuration via CD/DVD ROM drive. All updates for Windows 7 and hardware drivers seem to be installed and up-to-date as of 10/4/2011. 

Troubleshooting Steps

1. Tried to read audio CD. Same error message.

2. Tried to read data CD-ROM. Same error message. 

3. Tried to read data DVD-ROM. Same error message. 

4. Writing to DVD ROM failed. Same error message.

5. Re-loaded OS 2nd time. No change. Same error message.

6. Checked with HP Support Assistant. DVD drive is recognized, but not media. No change. 

7. Checked Device Manager. DVD drive is recognized as TS-L633R. 

8. Driver is cdrom.sys version 6.1.7600.16385. Clicked Update Driver, no change. 

9. Tried uninstalling and re-installing the driver. No change.

10. Checked BIOS. AMD Turion II P540 Dual Core processor 2.4Ghz. BIOS appears to be up-to-date, version F.27. 

11. BIOS lists CD/DVD ROM drive as bootable. Re-ordered drive to boot first and used Knoppix Linux boot disc, no change. Windows booted instead. 

12. Reviewed registry for "upper filter" and "lower filter" entries.  Checked registry 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318. No upper filter or lower filter entries present. No change. 

13. Ran "Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter"; it cannot detect the cd/dvd. No change. 

The drive has power, spins, is recognized by Windows 7 and the BIOS. However, it will not read or write CD ROM or DVD ROM discs.

I'm out of options.  What else can I do to make the cd/dvd rom drive read and write cds?

Thanks for your help.  Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Received a new DVD/CD ROM today from Ben S and Alan at HP today.  The drive was manufactured July, 2011, and appears to have all the same model number information. The old one was from Dec 2010. 

Installation took about 10 minutes from the included instructions, and the drive plays all CD and DVD media now.  Thanks to HP Support for the quick solution warrantly hardware replacement. 

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

Meine DVD-Laufwerk ist im Gerätemanager nicht aufgeführt wird im Windows-Explorer nicht angezeigt.

My DVD drive is not found in the device manager and also it is not to find in the windows explorer.

(OS Vista)

HP Recommended

Update:

I chatted online with Ben S. at HP tech support via the HP Support Assistant. Helpful guy. Thank you, Ben. He worked through it and his counterpart Alan is sending me a new DVD/CD drive. Ben S checked the following:

1. Confirmed that I had tried multiple discs to check different formats: DVD-R, CD-RW, audio CD, video DVD, software data CD. None were recognized.

2. CD/DVD icon appears in My Computer. Confirmed.

3. Checked Device Manager for yellow exclamation marks. None present.

4. Opened below Device Manager and checked for yellow exclamation marks. HP CDDVDW TS-L633R ATA device listed correctly. Redundant, but I understand; it's a good check.

5. Confimed the Model and Serial Number. 

6. Asked whether I had done a System Recovery.  I had. Twice. First time it didn't restore the drive, so I thought I'd try it again. Second time also did not restore the drive. 

7. Ben S. concluded that the drive has a hardware malfunction, and offered drive replacement under warranty since I purchased in April. I should have it by Oct 17, and then I have 15 days to return the broken drive or I'm charged $80. 

Alan offered an additional year of warranty service for about $100. Ben's guess on the root cause was a bad lens from stress on the DVD tray. I don't recall any stress events. I've had this laptop since April, 2011, and the drive failed at the end of September.  7 months. This surprised me considering I've got other notebook computers with drives that have lasted years and still haven't failed. 

I'll check in when I get the replacement drive.

HP Recommended

Received a new DVD/CD ROM today from Ben S and Alan at HP today.  The drive was manufactured July, 2011, and appears to have all the same model number information. The old one was from Dec 2010. 

Installation took about 10 minutes from the included instructions, and the drive plays all CD and DVD media now.  Thanks to HP Support for the quick solution warrantly hardware replacement. 

HP Recommended

I have a similar issue with the TS-L633R in a 4320s laptop.

I can get the drive to boot and read CD's, but it won't boot or read DVD's

Device is shown in the Device Manager and I have uninstalled and re-installed several times. Have also tried updating the device software, but it say's I have the up to date version.

Any ideas what to try next?

HP Recommended

Hi... I am facing the same problem.. Can you send me the Driver CD which you got from HP... because my warranty expired.. My email ID is noorulameen100@gmail.com... If you send me the files it will be very helpful for me... I have searched everywhere... i couldnt able to fix the problem... My Driver is same as yours "TS-L633R CD-DVD drive"... OS also same "Windows 7"... Can you plz send those files to me... Thankz in advance...

HP Recommended

I cannot burn CD/DVD in my Probook 4530s. Writter model: hp CDDVDW TS-L633R. CD/DVD. Reading for some disks are okay. Sometime it cannot read some disks. 😞

HP Recommended

Now, I cannot do anything with my DVD drive 😞
When I click on the DVD RW Drive icon it gives a prompt "Insert a disk" and ejects the ROM tray. What can I do now?

@path6336: Have you got any solution? 

HP Recommended

Error: DVD drive won't read or write discs. TS-L633R CD-DVD drive. HP DV6-3120US notebook. Win 7

HP Recommended

no, please help me to resolve this issue

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.