Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I've had this laptop a little over a year, and since having it, I've always had heat problems, but never thoguht much of it. Lately I have physically burnt myself on the laptop while even using a laptop cooler. 

I downloaded a program that shows the temperateues of the internal componants.. here is the screenshot of my readings. 

heat.png

As you can see, the CPU usage is fairly low, but the GPU is hot enough to boil water.. This surely cannot be normal?

I run very few applications because of these problems and very little windows in my internet browser yet the problem only seems to get worse.. Advise please? 

24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended

Bump?

HP Recommended

I will advise you to first update the latest BIOS on the unit from the support and driver download page on hp.com.

Next you can try to update the graphics card driver and then check if this helps.

Also go through the following document to check if this could be due to clogged fan vents:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01007591

Hope this helps!

Although I am an HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.
HP Recommended

This hasn't solved the heat issures im afraid! 

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem. The Laptop starts heating in no time. Gets so hot that even my laptop cooler feels of no use. I have my laptop HP DV6T Intel core i7 8400 since one and a half year. The heating problem was always there but of late the temperature of the laptop is extreme. Even under ac, it still is warm. Only the left side of the laptop facing me gets heated up while the right side remains cool. I have not seen any solution for this anywhere till now.

HP Recommended

Mine still overheats drastically, it switches itself off at least once a day from minor tasking such as web browsing.

HP have been useless about this problem, and other problems associated with this line of laptops.

Does your charging point also have a "weak" connection?

For example, if my charger falls out, it takes me a good 10-15 minutes to get a connection going. I have read this happens with a lot of peoples HP laptops.

Build quality is clearly not a priority with them.

HP Recommended

I am a computer technician that has seen this many times. Occasionally a bios update will help.

Here is what happened with the last one I worked on:

- Cleaned vents....no help

-changed power plan.....no help

-update bios.....no help

-replaced motherboard.......same problem

-did diagnostic on CPU........should have done that first

-replaced CPU.........bingo. works fine now

My customer spent $400 on a repair of a laptop that was 2 months out of warranty. He was struggling with the problem for about 4 months before bringing it to me. Moral of the story: if it is under warranty, call HP now!

HP Recommended

I would have thought replacing the motherboard would have had the  same effect as replacing the cpu? Why the difference, was the replacement motherboard faulty as well?

HP Recommended

It's crazy. My pavillion dv6is 2months out of warranty and I have the same problem.

It has only switched off due to the overheating once, whilst I was, to be fair, playing a computer game.

But I reckon the problem will get worse and worse. The left hand side of the computer is so hot that you would want to pull your hand away.

Sounds like the CPU just needs replacing, anyone can guess how much this will cost done by HP out of warranty? Maybe I should get a private consultant to do it?

HP Recommended

I don't know where you live, but in Europe an item that failed after 14 months would be considered "not fit for purpose" and you would have a good case for pusuing the company for poor design or faulty manufacture. HP are carefully sidestepping the issue on this as they know if one case could be proved they might have a load of trouble on their hands - as they did with the dv6000. It may not be the cpu, it may be the graphics ic. Complain to them and look up the consumer law for the country you're in. In theuk you are allowed 6 years to bring a case of faulty manufacture. Most equipment manufactured in Germany, for instance, carries a 3 yr. warranty - as it should. Why put up with substandard crap?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.