Re: Fan/Thermal Throttling Issues (3857 Views)
Top Student
Skepsikyma
Message 1 of 10 (3,981 Views)

Fan/Thermal Throttling Issues

A while ago, my dv7-1240us notebook started overheating while I was playing WoW, and the fans slowed down. I've taken MANY troubleshooting steps, like updating the video drivers, flashing the BIOS, and cleaning out the vents with compressed CO2. I also downloaded a program called SpeedFan, in an attempt to manually raise the fan speeds, but I can't modify them through that program, probably because my computer is relatively new (I just bought it in January). Can I go into the BIOS and change the fan speeds there? Because it seems like the fans are the problem, they used to run at very high RPMs when I did anything intensive, blowing out lots of air, but now they always go gently. I know they can still go that fast, cause they do it when the computer boots up. What can I do to speed them up? I'm sick of tech support telling me to clean out my vents -.-
Dean
Huffer
Message 2 of 10 (3,979 Views)

Re: Fan/Thermal Throttling Issues

How old is the laptop? You might need to open it and clean out the area around the processor and heatsink and clear the fans of dirt. Using compressed C02 and blowing in does not do much and might actually make the issue worse. You are better off to use a vacuum cleaner and suck out rather than blow in.
Top Student
Skepsikyma
Message 3 of 10 (3,975 Views)

It's like four months old, which makes me doubt that it's a dust problem
Regents Professor
Kalt
Message 4 of 10 (3,966 Views)

Unfortunately, HP's consumer notebooks are very limited as to what can be changed in the BIOS settings...the thing I can suggest is to maybe purchase a cooling pad for the notebook and use that.
Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 5 of 10 (3,931 Views)

Hi,

Update Your Bios and Your prolem will be solved. Few users report this problem and after updating Bios everything was better. So try and report about the result. :smileywink:

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer
Honor Student
Pretender
Message 6 of 10 (3,896 Views)

Hi people, I'm new at the forum.

Some questions...

Why don't HP put some more options at BIOS to control the fan speed?

Why don't gave us, customers, some programs to control the fan speed? LG does!

The option fan always on, is quite annoying it makes so much noise! Asus laptops are quite more silent.

Disabling the option always on, it's a little better, but in my opinion it's very bad programmed. It's fires up at 60º and quickly shuts downs, perharps at 58º/59º

Its will be a better ideia, if HP increases the delta temperature,

Eg, startup at 60º, and only shutdown at 50º, giving more time to rise again to 60º and startup

Off course the best option should be a program, to be us, customers to configure the fan speed.

My HP is a DV5-1000 series, Intel P8600, 9600gt GPU, with the last BIOS F16 (and thankfully you fixed the sleep problem at *ix OS)

Think about this HP

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 7 of 10 (3,884 Views)

@Pretender,

This Forum is user to user help. We don't work for HP.

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

Honor Student
Pretender
Message 8 of 10 (3,866 Views)

yep I know that,

but i think sometimes HP devs/supporters visit the forum (wasn't the case of the bios update to dvd5 with sleep issues at *ix)?

BTW, I will be really appreciated if someone give me, via PM, an e-mail contact ou user name, to contact directly the HP team responsible for BIOS issues.

Top Student
Skepsikyma
Message 9 of 10 (3,861 Views)

I've downgraded and upgraded a couple times, and the problem doesn't go away. They still work fine when when the computer turns on, then die down to a trickle and stay there...
Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 10 of 10 (3,857 Views)

@Pretender

On Bios page there is a form. Fill it and add comments about it. For dv7-1240us You can do it here. Check lower part of page.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation