Honor Student
Oliver5555
Message 2 of 5 (3,810 Views)
Accepted Solution

Fan how to tell if it works? What test can I do? G62-a17SA

G62-a17SA

HP G62-a17SA

Windows 7 64 bit

How to tell if the fan works? it works when Laptop powered up, but no other times.

I've had it less than a year, and customer services, wont fix it unless I mail the receipt, which I cant find. i called the next day and said I will pay for it to be looked at, and replaced if needed. The price was £223.94. Which is 51% of the price I paid for the laptop originally, so I left it.

I need to know if my laptop is save to use. It can get hot, I'm worried it could start a fire. The fan only comes on when I boot the laptop up, no other times. What software can I use to tests to see if it functions properly? then I know if i will have to pay to send it away. (not a dust or venting problem) also its a instant sudden one

Please help

Oliver

Honor Student
Oliver5555
Message 1 of 5 (3,812 Views)

I have a G62-a17SA in warranty that wont be fixed. Fan how to tell if it works?

[ Edited ]

HP G62-a17SA

Windows 7 64 bit

How to tell if the fan works? it works when Laptop powered up, but no other times.

I've had it less than a year, and customer services, wont fix it unless I mail the receipt, which I cant find. i called the next day and said I will pay for it to be looked at, and replaced if needed. The price was £223.94. Which is 51% of the price I paid for the laptop originally, so I left it.

I need to know if my laptop is save to use. It can get hot, I'm worried it could start a fire. The fan only comes on when I boot the laptop up, no other times. What software can I use to tests to see if it functions properly? then I know if i will have to pay to send it away. (it's not dust or venting problems)

Please help

Oliver

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 3 of 5 (3,774 Views)

Re: Fan how to tell if it works? What test can I do? G62-a17SA

There is not a good way to test it on a HP, about all you can do is install Speedfan to monitor temps, then load the processor with software like Gimps, see if the fan comes on before it gets too hot, be careful not to overheat the processor.

Tutorial here

Honor Student
Oliver5555
Message 4 of 5 (3,763 Views)

Thank you, that helps a lot and a good idea will install both, how hot is too hot though? I have some idea on computers but not that much.

What should be the celsius it it be?

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 5 of 5 (3,760 Views)

Max thermal design temp is 90c for the AMD P320, this is way over what it should ever run so shut dowm the cpu stress software at 65c max

50c should be the temp at full load if the heatsink and fan are doing their job properly, the fan should be at full speed by 50-60c

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation