Question

Honor Student
miniuser
Message 1 of 10 (5,356 Views)

Fan surging on Mini 110-3538tu netbook

Hi all

Just picked up my new Mini 110-3538 and very happy with it, except for one thing - the fan noise is continually surging from soft to loud.

It is brand new out of the box so there should not be a problem with dust, but the noise is driving me crazy... if it stayed at one level it would not be so bad, but it goes something like rrrrRRRRrrrrrrrRRRRRrrrrrrrRRRRRRrrrrrrrrr.

It's as if the device heats up enough to speed up the fan, then once the fan speeds up it cools down and the fan slows, then the cycle repeats once every couple of seconds. In my past (engineering) life I would have called it a hysteresis problem...

Thanks for any suggestions.

PhD Student
Knute
Message 2 of 10 (5,296 Views)

Re: Fan surging on Mini 110-3538tu netbook

Check the BIOS to see if there is a 'Fan always on while on AC Power' option and disable it.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• I Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name
  • If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly

• Honor Student
    miniuser
    Message 3 of 10 (5,262 Views)

Thanks for the response - I would love to give you kudos, sadly not there yet...

I changed the BIOS setting so that 'Fan always on' is Disabled.

Unfortunately the fan still runs fast and slow as before...  Temperature here in Adelaide is 20C so that should not be a problem.

Any further ideas appreciated.

PhD Student
    Knute
    Message 4 of 10 (5,253 Views)

Oh no!

And it's brand new right?  So a dusty/clogged fan wouldn't apply here.  It's odd that you would have that issue on a Mini as they use a tiny little atom processor, not a super hot i7 or anything like that (Envy Users have a lot of heat issues).  Does the laptop feel hot at all?  If not it could be a faulty fan, if you just bought it I'm sure you can have that looked at/replaced under warranty.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• I Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name
  • If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly

• D_B Student
    Student
    D_B
    Message 5 of 10 (4,586 Views)

Hi Miniuser...got exactly the same problem on my wife's brand new mini 110-3538tu, fan goes up and down in speed like a yo-yo.  Thankfully there is a cure...Go to Control Panel -> Power Options - > Change Plan Settings then click on Change Advanced Power Settings. This opens another pop-up window. Scroll down to Processor Power Management & expand, then expand System Cooling policy. Here you will see the options for running on Battery & Plugged in. On mine they were both set to Active. I changed both to Passive. the fan runs a bit faster but at least it is now at a constant speed.

Student
    liangkexue
    Message 6 of 10 (4,375 Views)

Adjustment of the power supply fan option in the settings, this computer work is not very good, small is a problem of the heat, it did. Quality! 建议购买lenovo Thinkpad高端产品

Student
    zak_steedman
    Message 7 of 10 (3,664 Views)

I am having the same issue with the hp mini 110-3538TU i picked up today, I will be handing mine into hp repairs some time soon if the problem persists and mine also came with 2 dead pixels. 

Student
    dootz101
    Message 8 of 10 (2,884 Views)

to all users who have this fan problem.   i just contacted hp and told the,m the problem backed up by evidence from this forum and so forth. they picked it up from my office and repaired it by replaceing the fan and now it works like a wonder! So quiet you wouldn't believe it! Actually there service has been A1, i was very impressed. So if your netbook is new and making a noise, it shouldn't be. You've basically got a faulty fan and it needs repairing. 

Good Luck to you all

Happy Days

Honor Student
    Raven319
    Message 9 of 10 (2,532 Views)

I have the same issue. The problem is inherent with the fan. The bearings are made poorly. I've been in IT for a while and I see this a lot, especially with Sony Viao's. Blowing compressed air in the exhaust or intake port full blast is bad. You will further damage the bearings. For dusting you need to do sweeping passes just like spray painting. 

The only try repair for this is to get a replacement. Probably cheap on Ebay or order one from HP if your mini is under warranty. 

Simple fix. On most models you pop off the bottom, and the fan is usually held in by 3 to 4 mini screws. 

Hope this helps.

Student
    sidrasultana
    Message 10 of 10 (1,975 Views)

Bundles of Thanks. Along with fan surging, my mini got stuck on unplugging. I set both options to Active (previously on battery is set to passive) and it resolved the issue. Thanks alot.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation