Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I think I can use this acer_fancontrol script. Looks like it uses pretty much the same way to control fan speed writing values directly to specific memory address. If only I know how to determinate which address to use for our laptop model.

HP Recommended

c01nd01r 

Да, я видел на других форумах, что у тебя та же проблема. Просто тут единственное решение, которое я нашёл.

Sorry for russian here.

HP Recommended

On Linux you can compile a kernel module and use the function ec_write()  (unless you already found a better solution)

(!!!!! ONLY FOR PROBOOK 4720S !!!!!)

1.create a folder (named: ec) on the desktop

2.in this folder create a file: ec.c, open it in text editor and paste the following code in

#include <linux/module.h>
#include <linux/acpi.h>

int init_module(void){
	ec_write(213,0x50);//change 0x50 to something smaller if fan runs too fast (perhaps 0x30)
	ec_write(214,0x50);//change 0x50 to something smaller if fan runs too fast (perhaps 0x30)
	return 0;
}

void cleanup_module(void){
	ec_write(213,0x30);
	ec_write(214,0x30);
}

then save it.

3. next to this file, create a file named Makefile and paste in this code:

obj-m += ec.o

then save it

4. open Terminal by pressing Ctrl+Alt+T

type(or copy) the following lines in, to install the compiler, and header files, move to your folder, then compile the module:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
sudo apt-get install gcc
cd Desktop/ec
make

if all went well then you can mount the module with:

sudo insmod ./ec.ko

later on every reboot just run

sudo insmod ./Desktop/ec/ec.ko

this is more of a temporary solution.

HP Recommended

Hi, still no solution? HP never never more :HalfEyes:

HP Recommended

There is a temporary solution on page 2 for Windows and not far below that one for Linux.
For HP it's not a problem at all :indifferent:

HP Recommended

Temporarily forever... In addition, a temporary solution does not work when the power of the battery, then perhaps the fan is not running... When it starts to read the disk, so the fan scurries, but the disc just stops. The problem is the control of the fan is not in the paste or the dust ... Where is HP? it is their problem...

I have W7, wXP, last BIOS update...

HP Recommended

I don't think HP consider it a problem. So the unique option for us is to use a "temporary" solution from this thread.
I've bought a new laptop of other brand, and I use my 4720s only like a always-ac-connected, because the battery is dead too.

HP Recommended

Luckily I did not buy a new laptop ... He left me my Asus after nearly eight years of everyday use and I was looking Refunds...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.