Message 1 of 1 (723 Views)

Fan won't kick into high gear leads to major overheating.

My Pavilion dv6t-6100 Quad edition overheats badly. In attempt to fix it, I tore the thing apart and cleaned out dust from the fan and heat sink with compressed air. The fan has worked, but it won't kick into high gear like I need it to. I can do simple tasks but when I start any kind of video (netflix, sports), videogame (rare due to school workload) the temperatures can climb into the 90s C very quickly, in which case, I shut it all down (assuming it doesn't slip into saftey hibernation first. The one where it directs me to the useless or whatever the address is.). My best test I've done is using the ray trace feature on a revit model. (Architecture program. Ray trace constantly generates a finer and finer realistic shaded view of a model. Very taxing on the CPU.). As soon as I think the fan will kick into high gear, it just stops. And it sounds like it pants (speeds up from 0) every three seconds or so.

I've installed a program called "speedfan" which has been fantastic to monitor core temperatures just in case. But I a unable to actually control fan speeds with it. Changing settings does nothing.

Another program I tried to use was HWiNFO64. According to a how-to video online, when the "sensor" menu was brought up, there should be a small red fan icon at the bottom, which includes a slider to control fan RPMs. No such button was available to me.

Changing the bios settings has been unfruitful, because this notebook comes with a horribly dumbed down bios. I can only change the setting "fan always on".

Also noteworthy, but any attempts to use or re-install HP CoolSense have been a failure. That wasa program supposed to help with issues like this. "Windows cannot find 'C:\Program Fi... ... HPThermalAssistant.exe'..."

So I need some creative ideas as to what to do. Is there any way I can control my fan speed or get it to run as normal?  (I'm not worried about noise. I'd rather have a noisy machine that is safe, than a quiet one that melts my CPU.) And the last thing i wat to do is buy replacement parts, but if I have to , what hardware wouldI need t re-buy? (WORST CASE SCENARIO)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation