Question

Student
Flyingfreak67
Message 1 of 1 (637 Views)

Fan won't kick into high gear leads to major overheating.

My Pavilion dv6t-6100 Quad edition overheats badly. In attempt to fix it, I tore the thing apart and cleaned out dust from the fan and heat sink with compressed air. The fan has worked, but it won't kick into high gear like I need it to. I can do simple tasks but when I start any kind of video (netflix, sports), videogame (rare due to school workload) the temperatures can climb into the 90s C very quickly, in which case, I shut it all down (assuming it doesn't slip into saftey hibernation first. The one where it directs me to the useless hp.com/go/techcenter/startup or whatever the address is.). My best test I've done is using the ray trace feature on a revit model. (Architecture program. Ray trace constantly generates a finer and finer realistic shaded view of a model. Very taxing on the CPU.). As soon as I think the fan will kick into high gear, it just stops. And it sounds like it pants (speeds up from 0) every three seconds or so.

I've installed a program called "speedfan" which has been fantastic to monitor core temperatures just in case. But I a unable to actually control fan speeds with it. Changing settings does nothing.

Another program I tried to use was HWiNFO64. According to a how-to video online, when the "sensor" menu was brought up, there should be a small red fan icon at the bottom, which includes a slider to control fan RPMs. No such button was available to me.

Changing the bios settings has been unfruitful, because this notebook comes with a horribly dumbed down bios. I can only change the setting "fan always on".

Also noteworthy, but any attempts to use or re-install HP CoolSense have been a failure. That wasa program supposed to help with issues like this. "Windows cannot find 'C:\Program Fi... ... HPThermalAssistant.exe'..."

So I need some creative ideas as to what to do. Is there any way I can control my fan speed or get it to run as normal?  (I'm not worried about noise. I'd rather have a noisy machine that is safe, than a quiet one that melts my CPU.) And the last thing i wat to do is buy replacement parts, but if I have to , what hardware wouldI need t re-buy? (WORST CASE SCENARIO)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation