Question

Honor Student
lamby24
Message 1 of 4 (160 Views)

Finger print scanner

I have had my HD Envy for a couple of weeks but this is the first problem ive had. the fingerprint scanner is registering a fingerprint constantly without me touching it, this made it hard to lock in but i have managed to now. the light next to the scanner is also not turning on, any suggestions?

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 2 of 4 (150 Views)

Re: Finger print scanner

Lamby,

Welcome to the HP Forum.

I am not sure I understand the issue you are facing. 

• What kind of computer do you have? 
  • What kind of Windows are you running? 
  • Which version of the fingerprint software are you using?

Brilliant Post - How to Ask Your Question

The way I read your post it sounds like the fingerprinter is both active and not active at the same time.

• Can you please clarify the manner in which the fingerprinter is  "registering a fingerprint constantly without me touching it"?

If the light is not active, then the fingerprinter is not actively seeking input.  This is only an issue if the fingerprinter fails to activate when it should do so.

Certain types of perceived input from the system can trigger the fingerprinter -- when the system is working properly, this might be the case when the system senses an available login screen in an active browser.  In this case, the fingerprinter may blink as a means to inform the user that input is expected.  "Input" is defined as a registered fingertip swipe.

The fingerprinter may blink in a constant on/off/on sequence when the database that controls the fingerprinter is active -- this is expected if the proper triggers have been applied.  For example, if you open your favorite browser and your home page is set to a website that is registered with your fingerprint login, the fingerprinter blinks.  If you fail to open that page and move on to another "open window" or "tab", then the database should settle (blinking stops); if the database remains active due to having fallen into a "confused" state (code loop?), then the light may continue to blink and the database hangs in a "here, not there" state of "non readyness".  (Forgive the poor use of grammer.)

Regardless of the confused state of the device, you might start with the following option.  This type of reset does not destroy data; this reset is a "drain and fresh" method of restarting your device driver software.

• Close all your programs and Shut down the computer
  • Disconnect everything (little Unifier for the keyboard / external mouse can stay)
  • Perform the Hard Reset for your notebook
  • Boot the computer and log in

If the reset revolves the issue, you are done.  Fixed.  Ta-Da!

If it does not, please provide the information needed and we can look at this again.

Click the Kudos Star!

It is a nice way to say “Thank You” for the help.

Although I strive to reflect HP's best practices, I do not work for HP. 

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Honor Student
lamby24
Message 3 of 4 (140 Views)

Hi, thanks for replying. My problem is that when i try to log in to my laptop, (a HP Envy j4 something or other), it thinks that i am giving it my fingerprint, then saying that it is not valid even though i have not scanned my print. Due to the fact that this happens even when i try to type my password it keeps resting me to the first log in menu so i have to quickly type in my password before it throws me back again. also no light is appearring next to it at all when it used to flash white when the finger print was right and orange when it was wrong.

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 4 of 4 (129 Views)

Lamby,

OK, thanks for the explanation about what you are seeing.

• I do need the requested information so I can judge whether I can answer your inquiry effectively.

Computer model: 

Locate the Notebook Product Number

Windows Version:

Which version of the Windows operating system am I running?

Start > search / type "winver" > click on winver

and

Is the Windows Version on My Computer 32-bit or 64-bit?

Finally,

• What version of HP SimplePass are you running?

• Has the SimplePass program ever worked correctly?

• Did you make any changes (that you know about) just before the issue started?

Simple Test at login

If you are running a version of Windows that shows a left facing ARROW on the login screen somewhere near the upper left your login user Icon, you might be able to tap that arrow to allow the Windows login to slide over where it shows all the user accounts on the system -- in your case, as in the case of many people, there may only be one account showing.  Nonetheless, the simple act of click on the ARROW may be enough to reset your login screen so it won't freak out.  Tiny chance, but worth trying.

When I know more about what you have, what you are running, and whether you tried the Hard Reset, I will better know if I can help you.

Click the Kudos Star!

It is a nice way to say “Thank You” for the help.

Although I strive to reflect HP's best practices, I do not work for HP. 

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation