Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Yeah, I'm having the same issue.

Accepts my scan on logon, but won't stop blinking.

Only stops when I open certain windows, but starts again when those close.

Only way I can permanently get it to stop is to end the process via Task manager.

This Envy is my 2nd as the 1st had a dead pixel on delivery.  Everything was working on that first laptop, since the change over the replacement has been doing this.

I also see an error when trying to update the driver.

HP Recommended

This may be late but to others who had the same problem this is what i did.

The blinking started for me when I updated and installed all the drives on my windows 10 envy laptop on the hp downloaded drivers and software page.

So this is what I did to fix it 1) I clicked the hp logo the HP Utility Center 2) Clicked the hp recovery manager 3)Clicked Microsoft system restore (restore the system to an earlier date) 4) I clicked a restore point date to an earlier date when the problem never occurred. When I restored it to an earlier date the blinking stopped .

HP Recommended

I'm getting the same behaviour on my new HP Envy with Windows 10.  Updated the driver as prompted and now the fingerprint light blinks continuously.  

The HP Simplepass software says there is an update, but click on the link and it says "Unable to check for updates, the server file failed to load".

HP Recommended

Try what I did do an Hp recovery manager - Microsoft system restore- restore your laptop to an earlier date, the date before you updated the drivers that caused the problem to occur.

HP Recommended

Same computer and now the same problem for me. It's really annoying with the constant blinking.

HP Recommended

Same problem for me with my Envy now. This blinking is driving me nuts.

HP Recommended

I fixed this blinking fingerprint reader problem. It began right after I made some adjustments to my trackpad settings. Also, strangely, the blinking stopped when I clicked on the windows menu icon in the tool bar. I just went in and created a new profile of trackpad settings, then reverted to defaults and saved the profile. Done! 

HP Recommended

After upgrading to Windows 10 in July, I had no updates for my HP Envy 17. I thought this was odd and I did experience some graphic issues so I decided to self-service it using drivers available for my device on the HP website.

About 20 minutes ago (the restart after all the updates), my fingerprint reader kept blinking white. As the person above mentioned it would stop blinking whenever I opened certain windows, the start menu being one of them. I decided to open up HP Support Assistant to see if there were any updates and I did have one message that was welcoming me to Version 8. After reading and deleting this message, the blinking has stopped. It's now been 5 minutes without a blink so I can't say for certain if this has stopped the problem entirely but it gave me a little bit of relief for now at least.

If the above didn't fix the problem for me, I'll update this thread.

HP Recommended

Karma got her revenge. I opened the start menu and the blinking started again but this time I have no messages to be read, I was hoping it would be some sort of notification blinker but I guess not.

HP Recommended
Spoiler
FIXED!!!  (sorta)

Okay, so I didn't fix this, but I found a sure way to make the blinking stop if it ever starts -- besides black tape.

I created an icon on my desktop that I can double-click. That kills the problem app automatically until you restart the computer. The problem app is called HP Simplepass Application.

DO THIS:

1.)  Create a shortcut on your desktop.

2.)  Open its properties.

3.)  In the Target location, type/paste this:   C:\Windows\System32\taskkill.exe /f /t /im "ClientCore.exe"

This new shortcut will kill the app and stop the blinking for sure. It doesn't seem to have any negative consequences, either. I can re-login from a sleep using the fingerprint reader, and it doesn't start blinking again. 

If you want a cool icon for it, you can use this:  

Fingerprint Kill Icon copy.jpg

You can upload this to:  http://www.icoconverter.com/

and it will convert it to a useable ICO file for you.

Let me know if this works out for you all!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.