Fingerprint reader not found (101 Views)
Honor Student
dnarcs
Message 1 of 4 (101 Views)

Fingerprint reader not found

Just bought a brand new Envy m6 running Windows 8 hours ago. I've literally done nothing to the computer. Went to run SimplePass and it didn't recognize my Windows password (the one I entered when I first booted the laptop). Okay, well, that should probably mean there is an error in the program, not the device itself, right?

Looked in the device manager. Lo and behold there are no Biometric devices found. Quite interesting, as this software should have come preinstalled. There is, however, an "unknown device" with the caution symbol on it under "other devices" in the device manager.

Any suggestions?

Associate Professor
parvez_tech
Message 2 of 4 (88 Views)

Re: Fingerprint reader not found

Hi,

It is happening most likely because updates are not installed. Make sure to complete all Windows updates and also run HP Support Assistant to complete all pending HP Updates. Once all updates are done and computer restarts multiple times then check it again..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
**Click on “Kudos” Star if you think this reply helped**
Honor Student
dnarcs
Message 3 of 4 (78 Views)

There are definitely updates that need to be installed, but Windows Update hangs at 0.0% (0.0 kb). I've tried with two different connections, so I know it's not external to the laptop itself.

Associate Professor
parvez_tech
Message 4 of 4 (70 Views)

I think there are some software conflicts that is causing this problem..You can try two steps and check if it helps. But if it doesnt fix the issue than i would recommend to directly perform a system recovery assuming that you do not have any data as it is a new computer.

Just try the steps from these two links..

Post1

Windows Update 2756872 Hangs at % (Windows 8)

If non of the above helps then i would suggest to directly perform recovery to reset the notebook to the factory settings..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
**Click on “Kudos” Star if you think this reply helped**
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation