Question

Student
nb-m
Message 1 of 5 (1,540 Views)

Firewire..?

I am the happy owner of a hp envy 17-1090eo. Bought it for video editing - but there is no firewire-connection. How do  get my videos into the computer?

Master's Graduate
Matt_Lo
Message 2 of 5 (1,511 Views)

Re: Firewire..?

You may need to get a Firewire to USB 2.0 adapter

"I'm looking for a laptop that looks like it's wrapped in super-rich, smoothed out tangerine peels." -TheMusicMaker
Student
Gio001
Message 3 of 5 (1,490 Views)

Re: Firewire for ENVY 17..?

[ Edited ]

I did get  a Firewire to USB adapter. It didn't work.

How do I get video from a canon Elura 50 miniDV into my new ENVY 17?

Is there anyway that I can add an external firewire port to my ENVY 17?

Provost
Huffer
Message 4 of 5 (1,480 Views)

Re: Firewire for ENVY 17..?

USB to firewire does not work for video input. Your laptop essentially has no expansion options other than usb. This is rapidly becoming the norm. I am not sure there is a laptop on the market with a firewire port and there are only a few with expresscard. I have a 3 year old Thinkpad T400 that has a firewire port, an expresscard port and a pcmcia port. I would love to buy a new laptop but I can't because I need these ports to do tech work and get video off my video camera. I will keep this one running as long as I can.

Student
paxtonwexford
Message 5 of 5 (1,344 Views)

Re: Firewire..?

I too bought the HP to edit video based on its specs, which were quite good. The ony solution I have found to get video from camcorder into the machine is usb Analog to Digital converter, they vary in price from 5 dollars up to 100 dollars, and I"m not sure any work better than the others. You're not going to get HD quality with this type of device.  I bought three of the 17inch envy laptops and they were not cheap. I am very dissapointed in HP for not offering some sort of solution to this problem, and I may just send them all back and buy MACs

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation