Flash Bios EXE (782 Views)
Honor Student
tye_beach
Message 1 of 4 (782 Views)

Flash Bios EXE

I need to flash my BIOS, yes I have ruled everything out it is the BIOS. All that HP will give me is an exe file to flash it with. That is all great, but I can't boot into windows to flash it with an exe. I have tried to use DOS, but the exe will not open for some reason in DOS. Is there a way to use this exe file somehow? Any help is greatly appreciated, I am about to give up!

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 4 (740 Views)

Re: Flash Bios EXE

This is a little tricky but I might suggest making a bootable flash drive set to run in a Windows Preboot environment like this:

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd-on-usb-disk

Put the .exe file on the flash disk and run it from the Windows preboot environment. It should work.

Honor Student
tye_beach
Message 3 of 4 (738 Views)

Thanks, the problem I am having is I can't boot into a windows environment or linux either, DOS works fine, but for some reason everything else just stops. I tried Hiren's Boot CD and booting into mini xp...it loads just fine, but when the desktop opens it restarts...same with ubuntu...I need to flash the bios without a windows environment..it is only a challenge because all I am supplied with is an exe file.

Provost
Huffer
Message 4 of 4 (731 Views)

Well if you cannot boot into Mini XP from Hiren's there is something significant going on that a BIOS flash is not likely to help. Have you tried running a memtest? Mini-XP loads entirely into RAM and if you have a bad stick of RAM it will not load. DOS uses very little RAM so you can boot into it even if there is a bad stick as long as the bad parts are in higher memory.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation