Question

Honor Student
dejanh
Message 1 of 3 (676 Views)

Fn and context menu keyboard key problem - please help!

[ Edited ]

Hi there,

I have a strange problem with my Fn key...or rather my Fn key and my context menu key.  After my motherboard fried itself about 2 weeks ago I ordered a replacement motherboard and installed it about 2 days ago.  Since then my keyboard Fn key (thrid key left of spacebar) is behaving like the context menu key (it is as though it got somehow remapped in hardware to be the context menu key and *not* Fn key) and my context menu key (second key to the right of spacebar) is doing nothing at all.  I have never had this problem prior to my motherboard blowing up and aside from these two keys the rest of the keyboard seems to be working just fine.  I have tested the system with everything from Vista 64-bit to Windows 7 SP1 64-bit, and Even Ubuntu 11.04.  In every system the Fn key behaves like the context menu key and the context menu key does not even register any keystroke at all.  It appears to be completly dead except that it does change the voltage at the connector pins when pressed (I verified this with a multimeter).  After speaking to HP they said that it would not be the motherboard and that the keyboard is likely bad.  How can this be?  How can it produce a voltage at the pins when the key is pressed if it is dead?  How could it have remapped itself like that?  Could it be that the same problem which killed my motherboard took out the keyboard as well?

Just for everyone's information I am using HP Pavillion dv6933ca notebook, which is basically a variant of the dv6700 series.  The GPU problem was remedied on the new board so this has no issues of the older dv6000 series Pavillions that relate to the GPU.  I am also using the latest BIOS available from the HP site.

Please help!

Honor Student
dejanh
Message 2 of 3 (642 Views)

Re: Fn and context menu keyboard key problem - please help!

Bump...anyone :smileyindifferent:

Student
wrenchpuller
Message 3 of 3 (543 Views)

Re: Fn and context menu keyboard key problem - please help!

FYI - I have the exact same problem with an HP Pavilion TX2500 tablet PC.  Mainboard fried.  Replaced with no trouble.  System boots and runs fine *except* for the FN key thinks it's a MENU, and backslash and pipe key doesn't work either. 

Board came with current BIOS.  I re-flashed it to the image from HP's site anyway.  Still shows same problem.

That makes it almost a boat anchor.   

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation