Question

Student
LostNovice
Message 1 of 1 (166 Views)

G4-1117DX CD/DVD drive not functioning

[ Edited ]

So I should say that this CD drive has never really worked all that great from the get go.  I never really bothered to try to fix it till now (Two years later). So I am having trouble with the CD drive not reading any CD. Device Manager says that it is functioning and I have uninstalled it and installed it again. I have checked drivers for Highend Filters and Lowend Filters. I have replaced the CD drive with a new one, same model. I have searched high and low for an possible answer and I have found nothing. So this is my last hope.
One thing that I have tried to test is going into Command and typing:diskpart. The screen moves on to say
Microsoft DiskPart version 6.1.7601
Copyright (C) 1999-2008 Microsoft Corporation
On computer : xxxxxxxxxx(my name of the laptop)

Then nothing else, and it just sits here. I don't really hear the CD driving spinning up and when I do try to load a CD into the computer and open it. It loads very slowly all the way to the end then it just sits at the last 2% and then freezes.
I am trying to turn this P.O.S. laptop into a work laptop. I am almost at the point where I am going to go get a USB CD drive and try to see if I can make it work. I'm trying to also install a brand new hard drive and that is really what is the big hang up.

Update: I finally got the command to let me enter

DISKPART> (I typed in) List Volume

Now it is trying to load the information. I would have to say it has been about 45 minutes before I got the command prompt to get this far. I am sure this is not normal. Again, the plea is the same.  HELP! Thanks

Updated #2

Screen schot.png

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation