Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
My wife's 3-year-old G61 won't start or charge up. The replacement battery is about 18 months old and the aftermarket charger is about a year old. It had been working fine up until the last few days, when the problem started to emerge. After a few days of intermittent use, when it would sometimes just turn itself off, it now won't turn on at all. The symptoms are identical to those described in this thread:<br><a href="http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-e-g-Windows-8/I-have-a-G61-that-won-t-boot-with-power..." target="_blank">http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-e-g-Windows-8/I-have-a-G61-that-won-t-boot-with-power...</a><br>With the battery in and the power lead in, the unit is dead. When the power button is pushed, the power LED flashes three times - that's all.<br>I followed the helpful advice given on the previous thread - hard power reset, checking that the memory was seated correctly etc, all to no avail. I was beginning to think that the power supply had died, but when I plugged the power lead in yet again, the power light came on.. and immediately went out again. By gently wiggling the power lead, I was able to maintain the charging, or disrupt it. With gentle pressure holding the power plug in the right place, the unit completed a full boot up with no problem.<br>I now suspect that the power port has become loose/bent and cannot maintain a normal contact. What options are there for repairing/replacing this part?
12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

If wiggling the powr adapter connection at the notebook allows starting up normally, then that means the DC power jack needs to be replaced. That was good troubleshooting on your part! 

If you can provide the complete product number I will be able to see how much one costs.  Remove the battery and look for the service tag inside the space vacated by the battery. Post the complete product number here.

service tag.png

Your notebook's DC power is the type that plugs in with a cable vice requiring soldering. 

There are also small business who can do it for you. This one shows how it is done. As you can see in the video, almost  complete disassembly is required to replace the part.  A CQ61 is the Compaq equivalent of your G61.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended
Thanks Erico
The laptop has two references: product ref VR523EA#ABU and model number G61-110SA
Cheers
HP Recommended

Hi Erico

You said "If you can provide the complete product number I will be able to see how much one costs."

Any chance of a part number / price in the UK?

Thanks

HP Recommended

FedUpWaiting, 

Not Erico, but I can help you as well.

Yes it is possible to find the UK price for the part. All I need product number for the part or the product number of the computer and what part you want. 

Thanks,

Kyle

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

Thanks Kyle

According to Erico, it's a DC power jack that I need.

Cheers

HP Recommended

I couldn't find it on the HP part surfer website, however I did find it on Amazon. However, i'm not sure how amazon works with those outside of the US. If you can order from them, here is a link: http://www.amazon.com/replacement-2000-2c29WM-693711-001-dv7-7323cl-dv7-1444us/dp/B00BJFJGOG

If not, the part number is 693711-001.

If you search that part number on Google or eBay you should find some that are for sale in the UK. 

Best of luck,

Kyle

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

Thanks Kyle, but my power supply is fine 🙂

The problem is the internal DC jack ... can you find a aprt number for that, please?

Thanks

HP Recommended

I'm sorry, I misunderstood originally. Unfortunately, I checked the HP part surfer store for that part and it was not listed. What this means is that your model doesn't have what is considered a "replaceable" internal jack. It is soldered to the motherboard and the part is not offered as a standalone part. 

Signature
HP Recommended

Thanks Kyle

That's frustrating.

So how do you suggest that I could I get my laptop running again? 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.