Question

Honor Student
snike3
Message 1 of 9 (5,095 Views)
Accepted Solution

G62-407DX Laptop Memory Upgrade Issues

According to the documentation on my laptop, it supports up to 8GB of DDR3.  It is currently installed with a 2GB stick of Kingston and a 1GB of Micron DDR3 as it was configured by HP.  I attempted to upgrade it to 8GB of PNY memory last night and was met with complete failure.

When booting the BIOS detected that 8GB of RAM was installed as did Windows.  However, Windows indicated that 3.79GB of RAM was usable and 8GB was installed.  I had this exact same issue on a desktop PC about 2 months ago.  The issue is not in Windows because it's the 64-bit version of Windows 7.  It is actually the BIOS that is to blame.  On my desktop I had to contact the manufacturer to get a new version of the BIOS (the version I needed wasn't available on their website).  The problem with the BIOS is that it's missing the "Memory Remapping" feature.  Without the setting, Windows will not be able to use all the memory installed in the system.  The BIOS on this laptop seems to have basically all normal BIOS settings removed, which is strange but I can understand since it's a laptop and not a desktop.

After having the issue with the memory, I checked my BIOS version and went to the HP website to see if there was a newer version.  To my surprise the version in my laptop (F.25) is newer than the version on the website (F.23)!  It seems as though all the drivers and utilities on the HP support page for this laptop are old.

Can anyone help me find a BIOS with memory remapping?  If there isn't one, hopefully HP sees that their BIOS has an issue...

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 9 (5,058 Views)

Re: G62-407DX Laptop Memory Upgrade Issues

[ Edited ]

Hi,

snike3 wrote:

According to the documentation on my laptop, it supports up to 8GB of DDR3.  It is currently installed with a 2GB stick of Kingston and a 1GB of Micron DDR3 as it was configured by HP.  I attempted to upgrade it to 8GB of PNY memory last night and was met with complete failure.

When booting the BIOS detected that 8GB of RAM was installed as did Windows.  However, Windows indicated that 3.79GB of RAM was usable and 8GB was installed.  I had this exact same issue on a desktop PC about 2 months ago.  The issue is not in Windows because it's the 64-bit version of Windows 7.  It is actually the BIOS that is to blame.  On my desktop I had to contact the manufacturer to get a new version of the BIOS (the version I needed wasn't available on their website).  The problem with the BIOS is that it's missing the "Memory Remapping" feature.  Without the setting, Windows will not be able to use all the memory installed in the system.  The BIOS on this laptop seems to have basically all normal BIOS settings removed, which is strange but I can understand since it's a laptop and not a desktop.

After having the issue with the memory, I checked my BIOS version and went to the HP website to see if there was a newer version.  To my surprise the version in my laptop (F.25) is newer than the version on the website (F.23)!  It seems as though all the drivers and utilities on the HP support page for this laptop are old.

Can anyone help me find a BIOS with memory remapping?  If there isn't one, hopefully HP sees that their BIOS has an issue...

What is the configuration of the memory you are installing?

Is it 2 x 4GB memory modules?

Are the PNY memory modules that you installed guaranteed compatible with your notebook model?

I checked at the PNY website using their memory configurator.  I did not see a guaranteed compatible memory module listed for your notebook.

I also checked at Kingston.com  as well and no success there either.

What is the part number for the PNY memory modules?

Best regards,
erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****
You can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up icon next to the reply button

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
ggg121
Message 3 of 9 (4,964 Views)

snike3 wrote:

According to the documentation on my laptop, it supports up to 8GB of DDR3It is currently installed with a 2GB stick of Kingston and a 1GB of Micron DDR3 as it was configured by HPI attempted to upgrade it to 8GB of PNY memory last night and was met with complete failure.

When booting the BIOS detected that 8GB of RAM was installed as did WindowsHowever, Windows indicated that 3.79GB of RAM was usable and 8GB was installedI had this exact same issue on a desktop PC about 2 months agoThe issue is not in Windows because it's the 64-bit version of Windows 7It is actually the BIOS that is to blameOn my desktop I had to contact the manufacturer to get a new version of the BIOS (the version I needed wasn't available on their website).  The problem with the BIOS is that it's missing the "Memory Remapping" featureWithout the setting, Windows will not be able to use all the memory installed in the systemThe BIOS on this laptop seems to have basically all normal BIOS settings removed, which is strange but I can understand since it's a laptop and not a desktop.

After having the issue with the memory, I checked my BIOS version and went to the HP website to see if there was a newer versionTo my surprise the version in my laptop (F.25) is newer than the version on the website (F.23)!  It seems as though all the drivers and utilities on the HP support page for this laptop are old.

Can anyone help me find a BIOS with memory remappingIf there isn't one, hopefully HP sees that their BIOS has an issue...

Hello snike3,

Sorry to hear about your memory troubles. I came across your post shortly after purchasing 8GB (2x4GB) of new memory for the same model notebook, and I began to worry that I would have problems too. I installed the modules and all 8GB are recognized and usable. I purchased the laptop (HP G62-407DX) last week. It's running BIOS version F.25 with InsydeH20 Setup Utility Rev. 3.5 and Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, just as yours did. The new modules passed the setup utility's memory test (I'll run it through something more rigorous later).

I know this doesn't solve your problem, and I apologize, but I hope it provides some insight. Perhaps you received a bum memory module, or it's not fully seated in the memory slot? Maybe PNY memory modules don't play well with these notebooks? If it's any consolation, the memory I'm using is G.SKILL model F3-10600CL9D-8GBSQ:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231342

If it's possible, you might want to consider RMA'ing your PNY memory and purchase the memory I've linked to above. It's been working solidly for the past couple of hours. Please reply/re-post when you've got a solution to your situation.

HTH!

~GGG121

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 9 (4,939 Views)

[ Edited ]

HI snike3 ,

Please keep us posted on this. I would certainly like to know if returning the PNY RAM and replacing it with the G.Skill memory worked for you. 

This certainly makes sense as a solution since PNY does not manufacture memory modules that are guaranted to work with your notebook.

Best regards,
erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****
You can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up icon next to the reply button

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
snike3
Message 5 of 9 (4,878 Views)

Thanks for the replies!

My assumption since the laptop became unstable was that the memory was bad, so I RMA'd it back to newegg the next morning (restocking fee shouldn't apply to defective products...  oh well).  Anyway, before I'd even read your posts I had ordered some G.Skill ram.  The PNY was 2x4GB sticks, as is this G.Skill.  Unfortunately, the new ram won't be here until probably the end of the week.

Hopefully it's just that the motherboard/bios has a ram compatibility issue that makes it unable to automatically remap the memory for Windows.  I guess I'll see in a couple days when the new ram shows up.

Honor Student
snike3
Message 6 of 9 (4,797 Views)

[ Edited ]

So finally got my new ram today.  Seems to be working perfectly.  Windows is reporting 8.0GB with 7.74GB usable, so exactly right...

I'm honestly a bit surprised that this fixed it.  I've built around 20 personal desktops and upgraded the RAM in at least 5 different laptops over the last 13 years.  I've never had an issue with RAM being incompatible or getting a bad module.  I've always stuck with Corsair or Kingston in the past but have quickly become a fan of Mushkin and G.Skill (I've done PNY twice before in laptops).  Every PC I've done in the past, with the exception of one desktop and this laptop, has been Intel based (including the chipset, except for one was an nForce4).  I don't know if compatibility is a big issue with AMD's or just HP's.  From reading around it seems to just be HP's.

Anyway, thanks for the responses again.  My official solution is to stay away from PNY for this laptop.  I have no way of determining if it was compatibility or a bad module.  However, since the memory test passed, I'm leaning toward compatibility.

Honor Student
dividebyz3r0
Message 7 of 9 (4,718 Views)

Wow, funny finding this post on google.  My Dad bought this laptop on 2/22 or something and dropped it off to me without opening it.  The people at BestBuy hooked him for a bunch of extra garbage he didn't need that amounted to over $200!  So I told him what to take back and I ordered the G.Skill RAM posted above and a WD Scorpio (500gb/7200rpm).  I was shocked to see HP doesn't have any recovery DVD in the box... that's a very annoying and lazy thing to do in my opinion since mfg upgrades of cheap hardware are insanely overpriced. 

I installed the hardware after downloading the drivers and used my Win 7 dvd to install the OS and everything is working fine, but I too have only 4gb of memory being recognized.  I've swapped out both DIMM's and they work... which is weird and the laptop originally read the 3gb it came with so the sockets are good.  I've checked the seating numerous times and it's perfect so I'm waiting on an RMA now and REALLY hope it fixes it. 

Honor Student
BRLRHG
Message 8 of 9 (4,098 Views)

Don't be too hasty...

I have a an HP DV4-1220us 64 bit with 4GB ram and Vista.  It worked perfectly for 2 years then died.  Then came back to life.  Then died again.  All tests showed it to be the hard drive which I replaced. 

I could not load the 64 bit Vista OS, nor could I load a version of 64 bit Linux Mint.  Both OS's consistently failed in the load.  HD test in BIOS worked perfectly as did the memory test. Multiple attempts at booting into the BIOS resulted in hangs and very unusual errors.  Nothing consistent.

I called HP support, they sent new DVD's which failed to load.

After reading this post, I removed 2GB of memory and everything loaded perfectly.  This tells me that there is something wrong with the BIOS on 64 bit machines which is causing intermittent and inconsitent errors when the ram > 2GB.  And this is with HP original equipment ram, straight from the factory.

I will be talking to HP in a few days (when an additional shipment of DVD's is delivered) and see what the say about the ram.  Will post back.

Honor Student
BRLRHG
Message 9 of 9 (4,065 Views)

After many hours of support calls with HP, the conclusion is that the motherboard has a problem - most likely with a memory socket.  Since it's out of warranty, it will cost me nearly as much to repair as it will to purchase a new computer.

My concern though, is that either of the 2 2GB memory modules works perfectly, by itself, in either memory socket.  No matter which combination of module to socket I tried, it failed 100% of the time when BOTH modules were in the computer.  This leads me to believe it is something other than a memory socket - like the BIOS.

I did update the BIOS, but that didn't help. 

Has anyone heard of similar issues that have been resolved?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation