Question

Honor Student
aaronduran2
Message 1 of 6 (259 Views)

G62-A20SS graphic drivers not working properly

[ Edited ]

Hi. I have a G62-A20SS laptop. After re-installing Windows 7, I've installed the Intel HD driver w/o any problem (this one). After that, I've tried to install the ATI Mobility Radeon HD4750 driver (this one). The main problem is: as soon as I install it, I get a BSOD related to "atikmpag.sys".

So it won't work. After uninstalling all drivers, I've tried to install only the ATI one, and it worked fine, but my graphics are messed up since it needs the Intel HD driver to be installed, and I cannot switch between graphic cards (Catalyst Control Center won't allow me to do it).

It seems the best solution is to install only the latest ATI driver provided, since it incorporates the Intel driver to "support the Intel GPU in notebook with switchable graphics" as it says in it's download page. And again, the problem, it gives a BSOD.

I'm tired of searching for a solution, and I don't know what to do anymore.

Cheers.

Honor Student
aaronduran2
Message 2 of 6 (181 Views)

Re: G62-A20SS graphic drivers not working properly

Still looking for a solution, I would appreciate it.

Honor Student
aaronduran2
Message 3 of 6 (106 Views)

Bumped...

Retired
Futoji
Message 4 of 6 (96 Views)

Hello @aaronduran2 

I see that you're having an issue getting the graphics drivers to work correctly for you. I will try to assist with this.

You're using the correct drivers and combination from what I can find. Unfortunately there are not newer ones due to the age of the graphics's card and processor in that notebook.

What you can try:

Uninstall both drivers.

Updating the BIOS - use this document to update your notebooks BIOS.

After that, enter Safe Mode and try installing the drivers again. Make sure you install Intel prior to the AMD.

If this fails, then I would suggest contacting support for repair/replacement options.
Thank you for posting on the HP Forums.

I worked on behalf of HP.
Honor Student
aaronduran2
Message 5 of 6 (88 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi, @Futoji, thanks for answering. I've already updated the BIOS since I've been looking for a solution for a long time and lots of posts said I had to do it. Didn't work.

Tried to install drivers in safe mode, but the ATI one won't do it because it can't detect my hardware specs (due to safe mode).

One question, if the laptop worked fine after buy it (supposedly it had installed both Intel and ATI drivers), why won't work now? Aren't the oldest drivers in the download page the same as the original ones pre-installed?

Thank you.

Retired
Futoji
Message 6 of 6 (73 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

To answer your last question, generally no. The drivers provided on the download page are usually the latest that were released. In some cases you may see two of a driver with different dates, but even those are newer then what would have been on the notebook.

Now, I did just have a thought that "might" work, provided (as I forget) Windows hasn't been reinstalled with anything other then recovery disks.

You may have Recovery Manager on your notebook (try searching for it). If you do, you can run that to restore both graphics drivers to the factory installed drivers (only way to truly obtain the drivers that came with the notebook).

If that idea doesn't work, then again the best option is to contact phone support as mention above. (HP Technical Support, North America 1-800-474-6836. For all other regions click here.)

I worked on behalf of HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation