Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I haven't try it with external monitor, I only tried connecting to an hdmi device which its flicker and flickers.

Am writing you, via safe mode. To boot to normal mode, I will need to disable/uninstall ATI HD card before the screen can come up. But it will rollback to blank screen after windows automatically installed an vga driver.

HP Recommended

Assuming you've checked the hard drive for errors (using the hdd  manufacturer's test utility) and is fine, and if trying an external monitor doesn't work, then it doesn't look good.

You can try the following:  (i) try booting with the battery removed, if no joy (ii) remove both battery and power, then depress and hold down the power on button fo 15 secs to remove any static build up.  If no  success then there is a strong probability that the graphics chip on the motherboard is US.

HP Recommended

Still the same, but I only can both to normal screen by uninstalling ATI driver on SAFE MODE while leaving Intel driver, then restart the pc to boot to normal screen and instantly shut-down the pc to interrupt Windows from installing the new VGA driver.

This is what I did : 

1a, Uninstalled the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 driver through SafeMode

1b, I disabled automatic drivers update and Windows update

2,  Reboot and interrupt Windows from install a new driver.

With this, I have my pc runing but without rich in display. Only Intel work without switching.

HP Recommended

Did you try booting Linux off a live disk or flash drive? Mine runs Ubuntu, Mint, openSUSE and Puppy.

HP Recommended

@ric619 wrote:

Ok so ive had my HP G62 laptop for 2 to 3 years now, everything had been working ok until 2 weeks ago when i tried turning on the laptop. The cooling fan started up, the power light came on, the wireless light came on but the screen remained blank with no activity. After a few attempts i prompty took it to the local computer shop to ask them to look at it and give their advice. After a couple of days they contacted me to say that they think it is a motherboard issue and is therefore not repairable. They tested the hard drive and said it was fine, i have since used the hard drive so i can confirm this. The shop owners told me that after looking round on the internet the most common and likely fault is a faulty motherboard, the motherboards for this model, or in fact most HP devices have been known to simply "work one day and then stop the next".

I would like to hear some other peoples opinions on this matter, hopefully a representative of HP and what a possible course of action could be. I am test engineer at a PCB company so if needed i will take the laptop apart and fault find the motherboard myself. If the motherboard does prove to be the fault then is there a warranty in place for this? I feel that a 2 year lifespan for a motherboard is unacceptable, especially considering i could be looking at the possibilty of buying a new laptop after 2 years use all because of a manufactoring problem or a poor selection in components.

The same thing happened with me. I have also collected that the HP motherboards are known for worthless quality. It is a regular and perinial in nature to have problem with the motherboard. I AM TOTALLY WITH YOU...
i AM PLANNING TO START A CAMPAIGN NOT TO BUY HP LAPTOPS. FOR SURE YOU ARE GOING TO LOSE YOUR MONEY.

HP Recommended

VERY BAD PRODUCT AND THEY ARE VERY WELL KNOWN FOR THIS

HP Recommended

Just to see if you have the same problem as I do, try my previous advice:

"Does the screen flicker at any time? Does it boot up normally, based on a monitor plugged into the aux video output?

Try setting the lid switch to "blank display" or some such*, cranking the brightness down as much as possible, then flipping the lid closed then open. On mine, that gets the display to work and I can then increase the brightness and it works fine."

*You have to have a working display to do that, but the external monitor is OK

As long as I can nurse mine along, I don't feel like digging into it. I got the schematic diagram (from an undisclosed source) and I feel it's a hardware issue. The boot screen is supposed to come on full brightness, but the screen will only come on at low brightness or if I flip the lid a couple times. Possibly something is causing it to "trip out" if it takes too much display power. I'd have to gut the thing then power it up and scope it out. Since it's 4 years old and I can get alog, sorta, I probably won't bother. The only thing I need a boot screen for is to switch to a different OS, and I can get the grub screen by plugging in an external monitor. I usually run Linux Mint, and if I want to play around with a different distro I use my big machine.

If you are interested in working on this, I can email you the schematic. You should already have the maintenance manual, which just tells you where all the screws are.

HP Recommended

Ric619, It is a motherboard issue, it's the graphics chip the laptop overheats and melts the solder around it. You could try reflowing the board, but if it overheats again you will have the same problem. A new board is the answer but if they are made as cheaply as in the past then the same problem will happen again.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem. My hp g62 lasted one year... so sad. I noticed when I clicked on the ADM control to update it my computer screen goes black. So, I'm guessing it's that or the motherboard. Took it to many shops and no one can tell me the problem. It use to come on when I would cover fans and get it hot, and work great. sometimes it would even come back on when windows updated and restart  with no problem. Now, that I pulled up the AMD CONTROL to update it, it won't stay on but a few min. Don't know the problem now. Just hate I spent so much money for a laptop that lasted only a year. Can any one help me with this problem. Still have laptop hoping it was just something simple cuz when it is on it works great until a few weeks ago when I clicked on the AMD control and screen went black and won't stay on long.

HP Recommended

Do you have an external monitor that you can plug into the separate video jack on the side? Or a TV to plug into the HDMI jack? If so, try it and see if you get video out.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.