GT31N Optical drive issue windows 8 (234 Views)
Honor Student
MarkHP94
Message 1 of 4 (279 Views)

GT31N Optical drive issue windows 8

Hello,

I've recently upgraded my os from windows 7 to windows 8. While i used windows 7, my optical drive (hp GT31N) worked perfectly, but now, using windows 8 i have a problem: when i press the physical button to eject the dvd drive, it seems that it doesn't work, but it works from Computer -> ROM Drive -> eject button.

Moreover, i opened Piriform's Speccy software and after it scans my pc, it seems the drive starts working (i see the green led) , and the physical button starts working too, but only for 30 seconds (more or less), then the optical drive goes in "idle" and it doesn't eject with the physical button.

(surfing on internet i saw the same issue on a dell notebook: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/disk-drives/f/3534/p/19480521/20253280.aspx )

I use an hp dv6-6b78el, looking forward to solve the problem...

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 2 of 4 (249 Views)

Have you tried updating the BIOS? If not, I would give that a try.

I will be honest, this is a strange issue and does not make a lot of sense giving the behavior. The DVD physical eject button is largely controlled by the drive itself, but there does not appear to be a physical issue since the eject button worked flawlessly in Windows 7.
Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Honor Student
MarkHP94
Message 3 of 4 (247 Views)

Re: GT31N Optical drive issue windows 8

[ Edited ]

I've installed the latest bios version,but i've the same problem, furthermore, wi-fi button didn't work; so i re-installed the F1.A bios.

I'm really considering to downgrade to windows 7 if i don't solve the problem, win8 is still without any support.

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 4 of 4 (234 Views)

This is a strange issue that doesn't really make sense when considering that the physical eject button is local to the drive and operates independently of the operating system.

However, the behavior of this scenario does indicate that it worked fine in Windows 7 and that may be the best course of action.

Let me know how it goes.
Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation