Graphics/Video Problems on HP Pavilion dv4-1155se (13765 Views)
Top Student
palvarado
Message 1 of 14 (13,765 Views)

Graphics/Video Problems on HP Pavilion dv4-1155se

We have a brand spanking new HP Pavilion dv4-1155se running Windows Vista 64-bit Edition that continues to have issues.  At random times, the laptop display will flicker 2 or 3 times, and the laptop will blue screen, stating a problem with the graphics adapter.  We've updated the BIOS and graphics drivers from HP to no avail.  We've also donwloaded a driver directly from ATI which seemed to resolve the issue for an extended period, but has re-occured today.

The only thing I can think of is that Vista may be using a built-in driver for the graphics adapter which is no good.  I'm considering the possibility that even though I updated the graphics with a driver directly from ATI, Vista overwrote it with its own again.  The laptop is currently off-site so I cannot verify this, but if anyone has had similar issues I'd like to see if you were able to find a fix.

Regards,

Phil

Teacher
RonKe
Message 2 of 14 (13,733 Views)

Re: Graphics/Video Problems on HP Pavilion dv4-1155se

[ Edited ]

Do you also get this error (in addition to the BSOSs): "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered"

I started receiving the flickering screen and then the nvlddmkm error problem after I downloaded:

Realtek - Network - Realtek RTL8168B/8111B Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)

Installation date: ‎11/‎8/‎2008 3:20 PM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Optional

DriverUpdate: Realtek Network software update released in July, 2008

And:

Device Driver Package Install: HP Developmen...

I have a NVIDIA GPU and since you have ATI our similar errors may just be coincidental and/or a result of Windows Update.

I do not know how the Realtek d/l would conflict with the GPU and I also updated HP Heath Check and HP Quick Play and HP Quick Launch Buttons just before Realtek.  I keep 'Print Screen' shots of my System Restore page to document the chronology of my updates and software installs.  Then through Problem Reports and Solutions, which displays the exact time of the "video hardware error", I was able to associate the aforementioned 3 recent updates as potential problems.

Many dv9000 computers (and more) are experiencing the video display problems I am and their complete computer failures occur soon after receiving those video warnings. 

Therefore, as you noted, your problem or mine might be as innocuous as an updated driver conflict from Windows Update or an HP driver update.

Message Edited by RonKe on 11-20-2008 12:31 PM
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sig: Pavilion Model Series# dv9500t (t=Intel)_CTO_Prod# RL653AV_Vista Ultimate (64-bit)_SP1_Intel 2 Duo CPU T7500_2 GB Ram_BIOS F.09_NVIDIA 8600M GS_200GB 7200RPM SATA Dual HD (100GBx2)_HP 300GB HD USB Kit for xb3000_8/2007
Top Student
victorxpp
Message 3 of 14 (13,718 Views)

Hey guys i think i can help you if your problem still persist.. i have 3 laptops HP dv9910us ...i had the same problem  when i was watching movies..so the problem is in the update for the video card that you made...the update is optional from 10/29/08 (nVidia - Display - NVIDIA GeForce 7150M / nForce 630M)  or from 08/29/08  so if you installed the update or you have this problem try to use recovery manager..click advanced options and chose hardware driver re-installation...and then click to reinstall both drivers for the video card... i had this problem to all 3 laptops...after performing this actions...the problem gone away..

Hope that work...

Top Student
palvarado
Message 4 of 14 (13,656 Views)

RonKe, That is the error message I also get, but I believe the driver name is different (ATI). "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered" My next step is to uninstall the network adapter you mentioned and video driver, and then re-install them. I will be sure to turn off automatic Windows/HP updates, and see what happens. Thanks again guys! -Phil
Teacher
RonKe
Message 5 of 14 (13,745 Views)

[ Edited ]

Victor: Thanks, I will try your suggestion if I cannot find another fix.

Palvarado:  Keep us informed of your success or...

Thanks!

I used Windows Defender>Tools>Software Explorer>Show for All Users (Admin rights)>Currently Running Programs>End Process for all of the programs that were running in the background but that I was not using to determine if they were causing problems or using up needed resources.

However, I just got the "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding..." warning with all of those programs not running.

Note:  Using Windows Defender is a very safe method to End Process on running programs because it will NOT let you Disable or End a program or process that is critical to the function of other programs.  The Disable or End Process is "grayed-out" for progams that should not be stopped.  Windows Task Manager or System Configuration will allow you to End or Disable programs you should not stop.

You can always Disable Windows Defender from the Startup Menu and use it only when needed and then Exit out of it by clicking on its System Tray Icon when unneeded.

Message Edited by RonKe on 11-21-2008 09:24 AM
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sig: Pavilion Model Series# dv9500t (t=Intel)_CTO_Prod# RL653AV_Vista Ultimate (64-bit)_SP1_Intel 2 Duo CPU T7500_2 GB Ram_BIOS F.09_NVIDIA 8600M GS_200GB 7200RPM SATA Dual HD (100GBx2)_HP 300GB HD USB Kit for xb3000_8/2007
Top Student
palvarado
Message 6 of 14 (13,653 Views)

Ok, I forgot to mention the user is also using a HP xb4 Notebook Media Docking Station with a 22" monitor attached. He did mention that when he did not have the laptop attached, it was fine. When he reattached the laptop to the docking station, the problem started again. I don't know if this was a coincidence, but I did get my hands back on the laptop. The driver that was installed was the ATI Radeon HD 3200 v8.541.0.0 which was not the one I had installed. I reinstalled the driver directly from ATI's website which was v8.552.0.0 I also turned off automatic install of Windows updates, and turned off the Windows update driver settings in Computer Management > Advanced System Settings > Hardware > Windows Update Driver Settings to prevent Vista automatically installing any drivers itself. I've been monitoring the laptop for a few hours now with no issues, mind you without the docking station attached. We'll see what happens. -Phil
Teacher
RonKe
Message 7 of 14 (13,646 Views)

See what Nevada has to say about TMM on another section of this forum Here

The specific issue is the NVIDIA GPU, although Transient Multimon Manager should apply to all MS systems.  You could try this fix with the docking station.

Top Student
palvarado
Message 8 of 14 (13,225 Views)

Unfortunately, the post you pointed me to has you turn that feature off. It also states that the fix would only apply if you were not using an external monitor, which in this case, we are. We seem to have narrowed it down to the docking station. The problem continues. PLEASE HELP!!
Grad Student
James_Cummins
Message 9 of 14 (13,209 Views)

palvarado, that's most likely a bug in ATI's driver, check back at ATI's site periodically for newer driver versions.  It is also possible someone, somewhere, has modified the Radeon 8.7 or newer driver to work with HD3200 which seems to be what you have... but I don't know where to find that driver so a web search might help instead of waiting for HP to release it if they ever do.
Student
dalexeenko
Message 10 of 14 (12,368 Views)

Hey guys,

Have you figured out the reason of blue screening?

I have dv4t with NVIDIA GeForce 9200M GS and I have tried different OSes such as Vista x86, Vista x64, Windows 7 Beta x86, Windows 7 x64 with different drivers (using Windows Update, official HP drivers and those ones from www.laptopvideo2go.com).

Still I am experiencing BSODs (nvlddmkm.sys) and screen flickering.

Is there any solution for this (besides returning the laptop back)?

Thanks. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation