Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi, my computer wont start up all i get is a blank screen, but apparantly the caps and num lights flash a code which mine does. I get 4 flashes which according to the hp website is a Graphics controller not functional. Does anyone know what could be causing this or had this problem. I really wont to just be able to fix it without the hassle of going through Hp.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Follow the instructions at this HP support document. to prepare your laptop for shipment.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

We would love to help but we need to know what kind of computer it is

HP Recommended

Yea of course, sorry. It is a Pavillion DV71214ea, and i had just installed windows 7 before it happened.

thanks

HP Recommended

Try a laptop(notebook)  hard reset

Remove the battery and ac adapter power from your laptop

press and hold the power button for about fifteen seconds.

reinstall the battery and then press the power button to start your laptop.

please report your results here in your thread.

regards,
erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

thanks for the reply but no luck with the hard reset. I still have the same problem, any other ideas would be aprreciated

thanks

HP Recommended

OK.

start up your laptop again and  keep tapping the F10 key as it starts up.

Post here whether or not you can access the HP Recovery manager.

(hopefully you didn't delete the 😧 Recovery partition when you upgraded as that is not a good plan)

You can restore your PC to the previous OS from the Recovery partition or the HP Recovery CD set (that you should have made before the upgrade) and retry the upgrade again.

regards,
erico

HP Recommended

No luck again cant access the hp recovery mode, its like the computer isnt booting up i cant access anything just a blank screen and the flashing caps and num lock lights. I insert my recovery disks and nothing happens.

HP Recommended

Any more ideas? i might take it to a PC engineer i think the problems with the graphics chip or  the motherboard.

Thanks

HP Recommended

I just cant get passed this black screen so i have no way of doing anything it must be an internal problem, looking through the forums other people have had the same problem but theres been no solution yet, im just gonna have to deal with HP customer services...

HP Recommended

Try removing the hard disk and then starting up the PC. That way we can isolate the issue. If you make it to the BIOS screen then you hard drive might be faulty, not your motherboard

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.