Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a Compaq Presario CQ56-115dx and an HP 16gb flash drive that will not work with the computer. The flash drive works with my HP Pavilion laptop, but not with the Compaq. I have a 4gb HP flash drive that works with the computer just fine, along with a few SanDisk ones. I don't think that it's the USB drivers because my other flash drives work with the computer just fine. I really need to use the flash drive to back up information from the Compaq computer, so any help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi The BimmerGuy,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

It is strange that the flash drive works in one pc and not another. You mentioned that a 4GB drive worked in your notebook and some others, but not the 16GB one.

What were the capacities of the other flash drives that worked in your notebook?

Did you try the 16GB drive in other ports on that computer?

Do you have any other problems with the USB ports on this computer?

I t would be helpful to have the OS version. Please read the following if you need help in finding that.
Is the Windows Version on My Computer 32-bit or 64-bit?

Despite what you mentioned about the other drives working, it is never a bad idea to update drivers. It is always possible that it is a strange compatibility issue. It could be something similar to the standards issue when dealing with SD cards, although I did not find any supporting information for flash drives. This is what I am referring to about the SD type devices. SD/SDHC/SDXC Specifications and Compatibility

Try going through the following depending on your OS. It may help or point in the right direction.

Troubleshooting USB Connections (Windows 7)

Troubleshooting USB Connections (Windows 😎

Please let me know if this helped.

Regards,

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi The BimmerGuy,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

It is strange that the flash drive works in one pc and not another. You mentioned that a 4GB drive worked in your notebook and some others, but not the 16GB one.

What were the capacities of the other flash drives that worked in your notebook?

Did you try the 16GB drive in other ports on that computer?

Do you have any other problems with the USB ports on this computer?

I t would be helpful to have the OS version. Please read the following if you need help in finding that.
Is the Windows Version on My Computer 32-bit or 64-bit?

Despite what you mentioned about the other drives working, it is never a bad idea to update drivers. It is always possible that it is a strange compatibility issue. It could be something similar to the standards issue when dealing with SD cards, although I did not find any supporting information for flash drives. This is what I am referring to about the SD type devices. SD/SDHC/SDXC Specifications and Compatibility

Try going through the following depending on your OS. It may help or point in the right direction.

Troubleshooting USB Connections (Windows 7)

Troubleshooting USB Connections (Windows 😎

Please let me know if this helped.

Regards,

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Correct, the 4gb works on ALL of my computers, while the 16gb works on all of them with the exception of the Compaq notebook. The other flash drives I've used were either 2gb or 4gb, and those work on all of my computers as well. The computer is running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. I'll check out those links as well when I use the computer next. Thank you for your response!

HP Recommended

Okay, I looked into the USB drivers and when plugged in, it showed up on the list. Turns out, I needed to update the driver for the flash drive because it didn't install correctly the first time.

Thank you again for your help!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.