Question

Honor Student
MordoP
Message 1 of 16 (22,001 Views)

HP 2000 Laptop black screen

I have a HP 2000-350us that I bought November 11th, 2011 that has recently started showing a black screen, with the blinking caps-lock button except it blinks continuously in ~2 second intervals. I have tried to hard reset it several times and followed the procedures I could find on the support page but nothing helps. It is set up on a desk with a glass top so I don't think it should have overheated plus it is only used for web browsing and no gaming etc.. the info: Intel® Pentium® Processor B950 Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit) Display 15.6-inch diagonal HD BrightView LED-backlit Display (1366 x 768) 4GB DDR3 500GB Intel HD Graphics 3000 with up to 1696MB total graphics memory
Intern
Nate_M
Message 2 of 16 (21,992 Views)

Re: HP 2000 Laptop black screen

A bit more information might be able to help me figure out some potential fixes for you. When are you experiencing this black screen? Does it happen right when you power on the notebook or does it occur after being used for a while?

Do you know when you last updated your graphics drivers?

I am an HP employee.
Master's Graduate
Jolly_Rogers
Message 3 of 16 (21,988 Views)

Please go through the following document which will help you identify the issue by indicating the right LED Blinking codes:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01443366&cc=ad&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_r1002_us...

By the description listed below, it looks more like a hardware issue, and based on the findings listed in the above documents you can contact support to setup a repair for your notebook.

Although I am an HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.
Honor Student
MordoP
Message 4 of 16 (21,983 Views)

When pushing the power button, the power button and the wireless light come on (the wireless light is orange) you can hear the dvd being accessed and fans but then the fan sounds like it slowly stops or it ust gets very quiet. It never shows anything on screen at all and then the caps-lock starts blinking.
Honor Student
MordoP
Message 5 of 16 (21,982 Views)

thanks for your help, I did go through those before I posted though and this problem doesn't match any listed because the caps-lock blinking is continuous.
Intern
Nate_M
Message 6 of 16 (21,972 Views)

Best recommendation is to give the link that Jolly_Rogers posted a try. I have pasted the relevant information below. You will want to count the number of blinks in the sequence and then use this reference table to help understand what is wrong.

LEDs near Caps Lock and Number Lock keys blink when starting notebook

The LED lights near the Caps Lock and Num Lock keys will blink if an error is detected during the start up process. The LEDs will blink a number of times in a sequence and then stop. The number of blinks in the sequence indicates what component caused an error when it was being tested during start up.
If the LEDs stop blinking and the computer does not start, you can press the power button again to repeat the tests. Count the number of blinks, and use the chart to identify the error condition.
Knowing the number of blinks is helpful when you contact an HP support agent for technical help.
Caps Lock/Num Lock LED Component Tested Error Condition 
LEDs blink 1 timeCPUCPU not functional
LEDs blink 2 timesBIOSBIOS corruption failure
LEDs blink 3 timesMemoryModule error not functional
LEDs blink 4 timesGraphicsGraphics controller not functional
LEDs blink 5 timesSystem boardGeneral system board failure
LEDs blink 6 timesBIOSBIOS authentication failure

Once we know the specific issue, we can find out how to get it resolved.

I am an HP employee.
Intern
Nate_M
Message 7 of 16 (21,971 Views)

Are you sure there isn't a slight delay in the sequence? Mostly looking for a time when the delay between blinks runs slightly longer.
I am an HP employee.
Honor Student
MordoP
Message 8 of 16 (21,963 Views)

I wondered if maybe there was a pause so I had already performed a reset and then counted the flashes but it went to 6 and kept going...
Student
JesusSavedMe
Message 9 of 16 (21,925 Views)

I have the same problem.  I have a HP200-350US that I bought late November of 2011.  A couple weeks ago, the computer randomly didn't startup.  The caps lock key blinks twice and then pauses, blinks twice, pauses, etc.  When I looked this up on the link above, it says that my computer is experiencing a BIOS Failure problem. However, it says that my computer should be restarting over and over again.  This isn't happening for me. The fan runs, and the wi-fi light stays orange, but the screen stays blank.  I tried hooking up an external monitor, but to no avail.  This sounds very similar to the issue HP was having with the TX2000s and the DV2000s, and I'm afraid that I may have a fried computer (that's the technical term :-) )on my hands.  Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Student
baluknair
Message 10 of 16 (19,653 Views)

Re: HP 2000 Laptop black screen (caps lock blinking)

i can give you a tip with which i have fixed my 2000 lap

its like please remove the outer cover of your harddisk where you can see the harddisk, beside that you can find a battery (BIOS), remove that and switch on your lap inserting the ram, if the display is coming then switch the lap off and reinsert the battery, and switch it on, carry on if the lap is working,

Or please replace the ram after removing the bios battery this will also work. 

i did the same and now the lap is working fine

say coooooooooool.....

baloos.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation