HP 2133 mini: just up and died (18468 Views)
Top Student
2133_user
Message 1 of 146 (18,468 Views)

HP 2133 mini: just up and died

My less than 6month old HP 2133 seems to have just failed.

Was working fine, then screen froze.

Now the blue power light comes on, but no boot up at all.

Have tried removing AC power, removing battery and leaving overnight, checking RAM seating.

No joy.

Looks like a hardware failure (motherboard) perhaps.

* sigh *

Looks like I'm back to lugging around a full-size laptop until I can get it fixed.

Anyone else had this problem. Any ideas?

GJS Honor Student
Honor Student
GJS
Message 2 of 146 (18,440 Views)

Re: HP 2133 mini: just up and died

I've had exactly the same problem. the system froze at the boot screen, when i tired to restart it the blue power light starts, the caps lock light flashes once but nothing else happens, no fans or HDD or screen. i've tried everything suggested by the support staff so far (who emailed back a few hours after i made contact and on a sunday too - no complaints there).

it could be motherboard/bios/memory related.   

Student
mrc3
Message 3 of 146 (18,420 Views)

Well that makes 3 of us recently.  Mine died yesterday (3/15).  Same symptoms.  HP sending shipping box for return.

Mike

Student
imedranoo
Message 4 of 146 (18,205 Views)

Hi, now we are 4 with this problem. I have exactly the same symptons....does anybody has received support from HP, did they fixed this issue ?

Thanks all.

GJS Honor Student
Honor Student
GJS
Message 5 of 146 (18,179 Views)

I had the laptop repaired by HP, they replaced the motherboard and updated the bios. picked up by UPS and returned in just over a week, working perfectly now. 

Top Student
2133_user
Message 6 of 146 (18,059 Views)

I'm glad some people have had good service from HP regarding their fatally flawed hardware.

So far I, unfortunately, have not.

Tried the email support approach first. Received a prompt, but ultimately useless, set of suggested fixes. There was no option for responding to whoever had sent this email to lodge further information (despite their own suggestion that I do so) or even to ask what to do next.

I then received an email telling me my "job" was closed -- even though I'd effectively received no useful practical help at all, and still had a dead 2133.

Still hopeful, I waited 'til the next business day and tried the phone support. Several robot voice prompts and strange redirects later I ended up (as expected) connected to a call centre somewhere on the sub-continent. The analyst suggested the same "fixes" that I'd already tried, then we played the special game of vocal charades that eventuates when two people communicating via long distance phone with accents equally incomprehensible to each other try to work through the vaguaries of contact details.

After patiently pretending to write down the phone number for buying an extended warranty for my already dead but practically brand new computer, I was given some sort of job number to write down. Something was mentioned about "next business day", but I wasn't really sure what was happening,as by now I was really bored with the process. Not a helpful attitude I know, but I really just wanted to get my still under WARRANTY netbook fixed, people, so cut me some slack.

I patiently waited another business day. No contact from HP.

Hmm. Maybe I should have paid more attention. Was I supposed to do something? No, surely not. It's HP's faulty product, they'll come to me, won't they?

So I waited almost another business day. No contact from HP. Okay. Decided to call and try out the job number.

Quickly traversed the layers of robot voice using the lucky number 8, and found a human. Was told my job was scheduled for an on-site visit TODAY, though the tone of the call-taker suggested I was some sort of retard for asking.

I checked that they had the right address (yes, good) and confirmed that they would call before turning up (yes, good).

Sadly, now the day is over. No one has turned up. No one has called.

I sit staring at my dead 2133, remembering the brief but happy times we had together. 

Top Student
2133_user
Message 7 of 146 (17,956 Views)

An update.

It was definitely the motherboard. Had an on-site tech visit and now my 2133 is alive and well again.

May be my imagination, but it seems to be running a little cooler now with the replacement motherboard.

Hey HP: whatever you do, don't 'downsize' your on-site technician workforce. Your support process was entirely frustrating, but once we'd finally made contact the tech guy was great.

Student
butterfly_jie
Message 8 of 146 (17,750 Views)

my 2133 seems meeting the same problem, and i m living australia, i called the service centre, but 2 days past , there was no reply,....

i think only change the masterboard and bios , it will be okay, i only bought it for 2 months,

by the way, i bought it in china, but i want to repair on austrlai, i dont know whether i can use under warranty police here???

Honor Student
enescobedo
Message 9 of 146 (17,131 Views)

14 Months (just enough to be out of warranty) and the same as everybody else. Just Power Light On, Charging also works but no other activity. (NO POST, blank screen, no beeps, nothing). I chat with the online support, but they wanted me to pay for their online support. So I read some stuff about booting problems and decided to change the memory. NOTHING !. I Event took it apart, disconnected BIOS battery, Wi-Fi Card, Bluetooth, soundcard, etc. just to let video, motherboard and memory. NADA ! RIP.

So I checked for a brand new board.... is HP nuts ? 800 US for a new board and 500 US if you return the old one, when there are mini notebooks for 300 US or less. So this was a Trojan horse, It looked solid, well made, nice hinges, excellent keyboard... like the old time HP computers that they lasted forever. I thought the 890 US I paid for mine was a good investment, but it was a scam !!! 

Not even my PII has died yet. Buy extended HP warranty, don't buy new models right away or even better try a different brand or a higher end model. I have couple of HP B180L Unix workstations.... 180MHz 10 years running none stop. Let me know when you build quality products again.... good-bye HP.

Student
leonrakoto
Message 10 of 146 (16,838 Views)

Same problem happens here !

The thing is  once I push a bit on the SDRAM , from time to time it works , but not always. It hangs up sometimes .

I 'm trying to  find a way to fix it ( may be by fitting a little object between the keyboard and the SDRAM ??) or something like that.

Please try to do the same and do not hesitate to tell me if it works or if you find some other way to fix it.

HP , please react ortell us how to fix it . 

Thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation