Question

Tutor
Hambert
Message 1 of 20 (1,136 Views)

HP 3D DriveGuard not working with Intel RST enabled (Envy 4-1050)

Hello, i'm having this issue and it's driving me crazy. I got my Envy 4-1050la three days ago and the first day i've changed the operating system to Windos 8 64 bits since I've bought a key last year.

Now all is installed and working properly (after having tons of issues enabling Intel Rapid Storage Technology and restoring all device drivers), exept for the DriveGuard 3D.

With Intel Rapid Storage acceleration disabled, DriveGuard will detect the hard drive as "supported" and the SSD as not, wich is the normal behaviour. But with acceleration enabled in either "enhanced" or "maximized" modes it shows one single drive (as expected since Intel RST makes a RAID array) but it says it's UNSUPPORTED and protection won't work at all.

I've tried several 3D DriveGuard versions without succes.

I will appreciate your help, thanks inadvance!

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 20 (1,106 Views)

Re: HP 3D DriveGuard not working with Intel RST enabled (Envy 4-1050)

Was it working under the previous operating system? It seems logical to me since the SSD is part of the RAID array and you can't protect the SSD with the drive protection (no mechanical read head to park), that the drive protection cannot work on a drive (RAID array) on which an SSD is a part. I just wonder what kind of experiment you could run to see if the drive protection somehow still is working to park the read head on the mechanical drive if the accelerometer reaches critical levels? I am afraid it is an experiment that you would not want to run.

Tutor
Hambert
Message 3 of 20 (1,100 Views)

Hello Huffer, first of all thak you so much for your time and help!

I didn't test all the devices under the preinstalled system (i didn't even know there was an accelerometer and what the CoolSense and DriveGuard technologies were). I had run it for an hour and then went directly to Windows 8 installation.

Yes, I have tested the accelerometer without the Intel RST and with it's two modes enabled. I just let the left side of the notebook "fly" for a second and then letting it land softly over my hand, or slightly hitting the table around it while its sitting over it. With RST disabled the HDD LED turned amber and the system halted on, so i had to hold the power button for 5 seconds to force-restart the system as the DriveGuards user manual says. With RST enabled nothing happens and the HDD LED and the SO run normally.

The CoolSense feature runs properly in all modes, as the cooler fan turns on if I lift the device from the table, so the accelerometer and it's driver are perfoming well i think.

Provost
Huffer
Message 4 of 20 (1,093 Views)

You have identified a bug which I am going to ask to be escalated. I assume the 3D Guard software could be modified to work with the RAID array but it will certainly not be I who has to look at the Code.

Tutor
Hambert
Message 5 of 20 (1,090 Views)

Thanks! I'll be looking forward to the fix.

I think it had to be working on the preinstalled Win 7 Home Premium 64, otherwise the mSATA SSD would be sitting there for nothing else than Rapid Start, since RST is what gives the 2x perfomance gain to the device making it a proper Ultrabook.

Provost
Huffer
Message 6 of 20 (1,056 Views)

I found this step by step for a Linux installation. Apparently you can have your cake and eat it, too if you make an 18.6 gb partition on the 32 gig mSSD and use that for acceleration and then you can use the rest (admittedly not much but enough for a light Linux distro) for Linux.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-pavilion-notebooks/676213-definitive-guide-clean-install-os-mssd-...

Tutor
Hambert
Message 7 of 20 (1,049 Views)

Hello again, haha, i'm sorry but I dind't get my cake with this recipe. I followed this steps located in the link you gave me:

1. Disable acceleration
2. Select "Make available" to dissociate drive. 
3. Enable acceleration but instead of choosing "Full Volume", you can choose to only use 18.6 GB. That's the only other option available for a 32 GB drive, you can't go down any more. 
4. Format what's left in disk management.

The result is RST working with 18.6 GB and the rest formatted into an usable drive. But still DriveGuard won't work giving me the same "Unsupported" message.

I send you two screenshots of the procedure. First of all, one showing DriveGuard fully functional with Intel RST disabled and all space on the SSD unlocated. The second one shows the result after the given procedure showing DriveGuard listing all the drives as Unsupported and RST working over 18.6 GB fixed capacity in "enhanced" mode, with the rest of the SSD formated in a NTFS partition without unlocated space left.

Working_RST Off_No partitions.jpg

Working_RST On 18.6 GB_Rest Partitioned.jpg

Tutor
Hambert
Message 8 of 20 (1,044 Views)

Also i would like to use the full 32 GB SSD to run RST cache in maximized mode alog with DriveGuard for the HDD, so i can take full advantage of it.

Provost
Huffer
Message 9 of 20 (1,040 Views)

We were talking about a different cake and maybe a different birthday party. I did not expect that partitioning the SSD would get your 3D Guard working. That issue has been bumped up the ladder for a response from inside HP and we will try to keep you posted. I just meant you could accelerate your system using 18.6 gigs of the SSD and still have a small partition for Linux. I did not make myself clear.

Tutor
Hambert
Message 10 of 20 (1,031 Views)

Oh, i see, thank you anyways!

I'll be waiting for news about the bugfix then.

Regards,

Humberto

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation