Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello there 🙂

I know it's weird to revamp an old thread like this, but some of us find it kinda interesting to revive old hardware as this one.

Got this as a gift years ago (attached) and would like to continue using it, but even with chromium and 4 websites open it choaks. Not to mention the choppy youtube.

Anyway, the specs are a little weird, and I haven't been able to find this model with my exact CPU nor the chipset, to verify my optios for RAM and CPU upgrades. I'm also interested in GPU upgrade, if it's by any means possible.

So here's what I've got ATM:

CPU 

Name Intel Celeron M 420     

Codename Yonah     

Specification Intel(R) Celeron(R) M CPU 420 @ 1.60GHz     

Package (platform ID) Socket 479 mPGA (0x5)     

CPUID 6.E.8     

Extended CPUID 6.E     

Core Stepping C0     

Technology 65 nm

Chipset  

Northbridge Intel i943/940GML rev. 03

Southbridge Intel 82801GHM (ICH7-M/U) rev. A1

Memory Type DDR2

Memory Size 1536 MBytes

Channels Dual

Memory Frequency 266.0 MHz (1:2)

Display Adapters       

Name Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family     

Board Manufacturer 0x103C (0x30D5)     

Memory size 128 MB     

PCI device bus 0 (0x0), device 2 (0x2), function 0 (0x0)     

Vendor ID 0x8086 (0x103C)     

Model ID 0x27A2 (0x30D5)     

Performance Level 0

So could any kind soul over there at HP please advise me on the best CPU I can get, the max amount of RAM possible to stuff in (2 or 4 gigs?) and possibly the GPU you guys would reccomend?

Thanx in advance!

P.

HP Recommended

Hello friend.

If you go through the previous posts you will see that I was able to install a T7200 and saw a great performance improvement to the laptop. I was able to install Windows 7 64bit and up my ram to 4 gigs.

Could you post a screenshot from CPU-Z as I did in one of my previous posts? That would be of help to see the compatiblity of the motherboard with the processor I installed. You can find the T7200 pretty cheap on eBay and believe me, you will think it is another laptop.

Waiting for your reply to see if I can further help you reviving/boosting your laptop's performance.

HP Recommended

Hey there!

Very nice of you to respond! I've copy pasted some of the info, thought it was enough, but here are all of the screenshots.

I have indeed read through the forum and thus gained assurance to proceed with the upgrade 🙂

Here are the pics. 

c1.JPG

c2.JPG

c3.JPG

c4.JPG

c5.JPG

c6.JPG

c7.JPG

Thank you very much!

HP Recommended

I know this is a little old but I thought I would add my own contribution. A friend of mine inherited one of these and wanted to give it to her daughter for Christmas. I put a fresh installation of Win7 on it and handed it back. Obviously I hadn't actually 'used' it so I didn't know quite how bad the stock CPU was - no chance of watching YouTube videos etc. as has been noted. So I took it back as I had recently acquired a number of socket M CPUs from stripping down faulty laptops.

I removed the Celeron M 530 (1Mb cache, 533FSB, 1.73Mhz) and swapped it for a Core Duo T2350 (2Mb cache, 533FSB, 1.86Ghz). It may not look like a big improvement on paper but, supported by an addition 1Gb of RAM, it performed dramatically faster. I didn't get the chance to do any proper benchmarking prior to the upgrade, but the score in the Windows Experience Index went from 3.8 to 4.4 in the CPU stakes. Obviously the graphics chipset is the major downfall but that will only really affect gaming.

Thanks to those who had already done some groundwork on this.

HP Recommended

Hi all! :generic:

I bought a T7200 processor and 4GB ram, so my HP 530 is nearly fast like a modern laptop. Thanks to everyone here.

My problem is that the fan is very noisy in normal operation. The heatsink is clean and the thermal paste is in order.

Can I buy a better fan or a bigger heat sink?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.