Question

Honor Student
BobFirenze
Message 1 of 3 (190 Views)

HP 650 Notebook - problems with HD and worse with samsung SSD - Ubuntu

Hi to all (first post here):

i have a Hp 650 NB with Ubuntu linux.

Always on the log (dmesg) i see ata errors, like disconnecting and change of speed. The disk test is ok.

I tryed a new SSD samsybg 840 EVO, the thing went worse - PC don't start and remains oin 'press the ESC key for startup menu'.

Searching forums etc. i read that it could be a BIOS issue which does not recognize correctly this new drives.

I have on board version F.34 and i see that F.37 is out.

The problem now is that replacing bios requires windows installed which i dont have.

So thw question: HOW TO UPDATE BIOS WITH LINUX INSTALLED?

The goal is to install a SSD samsung 840 on the NB without errors.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Honor Student
BobFirenze
Message 2 of 3 (158 Views)

Re: HP 650 Notebook - problems with HD and worse with samsung SSD - Ubuntu

I will add some other infos:

-my goal is to have the HP 650 with SSD on and no ata problems or whatever

-i'm trying to update BIOS hoping it will help but i'm not sure so any experience from users is welcome

-i tested the HDD and the SSD on other devices like usb adapter and an older desktop PC and it works with no problem, so the fault must be in the new HP 650.

Again thanks in adv, for any help!

greetings from Florence

Honor Student
BobFirenze
Message 3 of 3 (127 Views)

Re: HP 650 Notebook - problems with HD and worse with samsung SSD - Ubuntu

Ok, no answer. HP engineers are you there??

Lets turn the question upside.

I need to connect a samsung SSD 840 evo replacing the original on HP 650 Notebook.

The SSD is fully functional, it boots on another pc and performs quite well on an USB interface.

On the 650 notebook it does not boot and stays on the request (ESC....etc.) for several minutes, after this a message HD not present appears.

Will a BIOS update help? Any other actions to perform? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation