Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Chromebook-14-x010ca
Chrome OS

I have had this chromebook now for about three months, and all of a sudden three keys do not work. I don't know what to do, and I cannot afford to replace a BRAND NEW laptop. It is extremely annoying, because the only way to get these letters to work is to apply quite a bit of force. If there was a way to take the keys off and clean them, maybe it would help, but someone help. !

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

I purchased an HP Chromebook also in December and suddenly the I and K keys quit working too. Any fixes anyone? Thanks. 

HP Recommended

Thats funny, just started happening to me today. it will sometimes work but for the most part I need to copy and paste i and k. Funny its happening to all of us at once, i got my hp chromebook 14 for christmas and opened itexactly a month ago. What the heck is going on HP?! Get yourself together! Leads me to believe its a software issue.

HP Recommended

t has just started happenng to mne as well!

any fx? resoluton?

am wonderng f  can tae t bac and get my money bac

HP Recommended

Same th ng here. Same  eys as well as the  # e ght. Got th s for Chr stmas and th s s so frustrat ng!!! There has to be a f x w/o hav ng to hand t over for repa rs.  would rather just get my money bacc!  REALLY loved th s laptop before th s happened.

HP Recommended

I ended up taking the laptop back to Best Buy who sent it in to HP. They said they would simply give me in-store credit towards another, but when I went to Best Buy, they replaced it... gave me another new HP Chromebook. Have had the new one for several months now and it's working flawlessly. I hope it keeps on... I love the machine, especially for the price and the speed, even with such a small memory. 

HP Recommended

I just got my HP chromebook a month ago and just started to have the same problem today tried to powerwash just like it someone suggested to me, it sucks,  love the chromebook but this is just annoying feels like I'm slamming my finger down just to use those buttons, Guess I will take it back to best buy since it replaced futureshop, hopefully they will fix it.

HP Recommended

Pffft I just had the same thing happen on mine as well. Purchased it last December but it was from Wal-Mart. I powerwashed then contacted HP about the issue. Was informed I could ship my laptop?! Got escalated to supervisor and now am escalating to corporate due to the fact that the laptop is needed for school work and I simply can't not have something. They won't ship me a new one either, says it's against policy so we'll see what corporate says tomorrow. If I had known there was no lcal servicing I would've just bit the bullet and gotten a Macbook since I can at least get local support. The guys on the phones were great but not impressed with their overall business strategy. The least they could do is partner or contract out to someone like Best Buy or Staples who can be onsite for issues that need immediate resolving.

HP Recommended

same issue. "i", "k", ",", and "8" are all intermittent.

i type A LOT e-mail for work and it's extremely frustrating that to constantly have to either "prime" those keys before typing to get some kind of use out of them or plug in an external keyboard.

it sounds like this is an issue with the keyboard hardware.

can we get a fix procedure, HP?

HP Recommended

for anyone reading this, try the extension listed on the second page of this thread. it seemed to help me.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware/hp-chromebook-14-keyboard-letters-not-responding/td-p...

https://www.one-tab.com/

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.