HP Compaq Presario V5000 Hard drive caddy missing (578 Views)
Honor Student
menmanalaysay
Message 1 of 5 (578 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Compaq Presario V5000 Hard drive caddy missing

Good day everyone, my father bought a Compaq Presario V5000 from a garage sale and sent it here in the Philipines. upon arrival of the package, i tried to run the laptop but the diagnostics option in the bios said that there was no HDD installed. later on did i found out that not only was the HDD broken, but the caddy was missing as well. is it advisable to use any newly bought HDD without the caddy? another question, regarding the specified capacity and speed, acoorcing to the specs listed in the internet, this device can handle up to 120GB capacity of HDD, at 4200rpm. does that explain why the setup of windowsXP said  that "there was no hard disks seen" when i tried using a larger capacity HDD? how about the speed? let's say i found a 120gb HDD but the speed is 5400rpm, will it still work? thank you very much!

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 5 (546 Views)

Re: HP Compaq Presario V5000 Hard drive caddy missing

[ Edited ]

Hi,

For the HDD, it should work if you could put it in PROPERLY. Anyway, I don't know how much you are willing to spend on this machine but it seems to me you may not getting anywhere because today HDD, tomorrow can be anything....

You can buy a brand new machine now for may be the same cost (at the end).

Good luck,

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Honor Student
menmanalaysay
Message 3 of 5 (542 Views)

good day banhien! thank you for your response. i've been to several shops and tested brand new hard drives on the laptop using windowsXP installation disk, but the setup says "setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer". could it be that the laptop itself is broken? how about the caddy of the hard drive being missing, i think it affects the HDD being PROPERLY installed. thank you very much!

Provost
banhien
Message 4 of 5 (538 Views)

Hi,

Most likely something do to with SATA. You need to follow instructions from this

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Install-Windows-XP-On-SATA-Without-a-Floppy-F6-47807.shtml

Good luck,

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Honor Student
menmanalaysay
Message 5 of 5 (531 Views)

hi, i followed the instructions on the page you sent me, i integrated the drivers on my winXP disc. i jut hope it works tomorrow when i return to the store to test som ehard drives. thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation