Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a dv6 about two years old, and it will not power up at all. No lights power up when I try to plug in the power supply or turn it on. This includes the light on the power jack, power button, or anywhere else on the keyboard.

I have purchased a new battery and power supply cord, both of these did not work. I used a multimeter to test the voltage on the power supply cord and got a reading of 9 Volts, which seems normal to me. I also used a fully charged battery but was unable to get power

I have also attempted a hard reset multiple times by holding down the power button for 30+ seconds. 

This has happened to me about 3 months ago, at that time, I stripped the entire computer down to the motherboard for visual inspection and plugged the power supply cord into the DC power jack, to try and test for any voltage on the motherboard. As soon as I did this the light on the power jack powered up, I was then able to turn the computer on (without the hard drive)

I then put the laptop back together assuming there was some sort of glitch however when I put it all back together it went back to getting no power. I repeated the process about three times and the same thing happened. On the fourth for some reason after reassembling the computer I was able to turn it on and use it. It has been working fine for three months, until today.

I have taken the hard drive and mounted it to another DV6 laptop and ti worked fine with that so I do not think it is an issue with the hard drive. I have also used another fully charged battery and was unable to get any power, I used another power supply cord and got no power either.

What could it possibly be? if it were an issue with the DC power jack should the laptop power on with a fully charged battery? I do not believe that it is a motherboard issue as I was able to use the laptop after the same issue occured three months ago.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I believe it is a motherboard issue. I proceeded to take the laptop apart to test voltage on the motherboard, however at every step of the way I would plug in the power supply cord to see if the light near the dc power jack would turn on (indicating power to the motherboard.)

At first I thought it was a bad solder and pressure on the motherboard from the laptop case assembly (screws, etc.) where impeding the flow of power to the motherboard. I took apart the entire laptop and disconnected everything from the motherboard, keyboard, usb ports, power button, etc. I then plugged in the power supply cord and the light on the dc jack turned on indicating power to motherboard.

I then applied some pressure to the motherboard trying to mimick possible pressur of the laptop case, no matter where I applied pressure the motherboard was still recieving power. I then proceeded to disconnect the power supply cord and put the laptop back together in hopes that it would continue to work. Once put back together the laptop wouldn't power on, not with the power cord plugged in or a fully charged battery.

I then proceeded to take it apart again, and would plug the power cord in at every step to pinpoint which step the motherboard would recieve power. I found that disconnecting the keyboard from motherboard did the trick.

In conclusion: if my laptop has no power source (ie dead battery and not plugged in) it wont turn on until i disconnect the keyboard from the motherboard. Once I disconnect the keyboard I can plug in the power supply cord get power to the motherboard and reconnect the keyboard. The laptop will work fine until I lose power again.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

It could be the power button board

HP Recommended

I believe it is a motherboard issue. I proceeded to take the laptop apart to test voltage on the motherboard, however at every step of the way I would plug in the power supply cord to see if the light near the dc power jack would turn on (indicating power to the motherboard.)

At first I thought it was a bad solder and pressure on the motherboard from the laptop case assembly (screws, etc.) where impeding the flow of power to the motherboard. I took apart the entire laptop and disconnected everything from the motherboard, keyboard, usb ports, power button, etc. I then plugged in the power supply cord and the light on the dc jack turned on indicating power to motherboard.

I then applied some pressure to the motherboard trying to mimick possible pressur of the laptop case, no matter where I applied pressure the motherboard was still recieving power. I then proceeded to disconnect the power supply cord and put the laptop back together in hopes that it would continue to work. Once put back together the laptop wouldn't power on, not with the power cord plugged in or a fully charged battery.

I then proceeded to take it apart again, and would plug the power cord in at every step to pinpoint which step the motherboard would recieve power. I found that disconnecting the keyboard from motherboard did the trick.

In conclusion: if my laptop has no power source (ie dead battery and not plugged in) it wont turn on until i disconnect the keyboard from the motherboard. Once I disconnect the keyboard I can plug in the power supply cord get power to the motherboard and reconnect the keyboard. The laptop will work fine until I lose power again.

HP Recommended

This is exactly what my laptop does. Did you replace the KB?

HP Recommended

Hi,

I am experiencing a similar issue.

I have an Envy DV6-7214TX.

After not using my laptop for a few days, it would not turn on.

When connected to the AC power adapter, the AC power indicator light would not come on.

I have tried using a new battery and new AC Power Adapter and the computer will still not work.

I have tried removing the AC power adaptor and the battery, holding the power button for 30 seconds, and thenn plugging the AC power adaptor back in but the notebook still wont turn on.

However, if I unpug the AC power adaptor and remove the battery overnight, when I plug the AC power adaptor back in, the notebook turns on straight away. I can put the battery in and unplug the AC power adaptor straight away and the notebook works fine, with the charge lasting for hours.

This is puzzling me, and I am assuming it may be a firmware issue (if the issue is caused by a HP power driver compatibility issue with the operating system, I would assume the notebook would still turn on, but the OS would not launch).

The most frustrating thing is I have called HP Australia notebook support five times now ( 131 047 ). Each time I call up, they advise me that the technical support staff are all currently busy, and that they will call me back in 30 minutes. I am not getting called by HP, despite ringing them five times now to request assistance.

Does anybody know why my notebook will not turn on without removing the AC power adaptor and battery overnight? 

HP Recommended

I am also having a similar issue on my HP envy:

HP ENVY TS 17 Notebook PC

E8A11UA#ABA

Rev 1965-110

One minute it was fine, the next it would not power back on...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.