HP DV6000 Laptop gives "No Battery Is Detected" error (16501 Views)
Student
craigbell
Message 1 of 12 (16,501 Views)

HP DV6000 Laptop gives "No Battery Is Detected" error

[ Edited ]

I have an HP DV6000 with Vista home edition and I replaced the stock battery with an HP replacement battery. Once the replacement battery was installed, I started getting a red line through the battery indicator (in the system tray) and if I hold my mouse over the battery indicator, I get a pop-up saying "No battery is detected".

After researching the problem online, I have updated the BIOS, updated the battery driver, taken the battery out, unplugging the laptop, held down the on/off button for 10 seconds, plugged it in, booted up, put the battery back in, and still get the error.

So tonight, I put the origional battery back in the laptop and I am still getting the same error.

Any suggestions?

Honor Student
NoelLambert
Message 2 of 12 (15,578 Views)

Re: HP DV6000 Laptop gives "No Battery Is Detected" error

I have precisely the same problem, performed all the same tasks, purchased new battery, new a/c adapter/charger, installed new support assistant, but get message HPBC has stopped working close program. HP do not respond to my e-mails phone calls, want me to pay to answer my queries. At wits end Rubbish computer that is useless when stock battery dies. I note no one answered your query either, did you find a solution?

Student
lwa1609
Message 3 of 12 (15,175 Views)

FIXED! After going thru all the same things listed in these posts, I finally got the battery indicator to say "0% available, plugged in, not charging" . I got suspicious of the aftermarket power adadpter so I verified the voltage required and found that it needed 18.5 volts to equal the battery voltage. The adapter was configured to put out 16v max. Turns out there is a switch on the adapter to accomodate different voltages, one being 19v DC. Switched to that, plugged in the adapter, fired up the laptop and what do you know, "0%, plugged in, charging". After about 20 min, it is up to 28% and still charging!

BTW, I got the laptop to recognize the battery by holding down the power switch for 20-30 seconds and then restarting the laptop again.

Sure glad I didn't have to use this laptop plugged in only!!!!

Student
MdotR
Message 4 of 12 (15,157 Views)

Where did you find the switch on the adapter? My adapter say 18.5 volts max, but I don't know how to change it.

Thanks,

M.R

Student
Johannestm
Message 5 of 12 (13,809 Views)

I bought my Pavilion dv6 3110ei in Decmeber 2010 and used it occasionaly. Mid this month I started noticing that the battery is not detected by windows. Checked the HP website and did all the steps the website suggested including updating BIOS. I still get the same message 'No battery is detcted'. When the message first started I could still start the laptop with AC power and even if I unplag it I could still use the battery for some minutes without AC. Now the laptop still does not start with battery and after I start with AC plugged in if i remove the AC it only runs for less than two minutes and automatically shut off. I tried charging it the whole night withthe laptop off, I still can not use the laptop without AC power. The adapter voluntage output is 19v so in my case the adapter does not seem to be a problem. I was ready to try buying a new battery but from what I have been reading in the forums that does not seem to solve the problem. Quite frankly I can't believe companies like HP keep quite when customers suffer like this. Why call this equipment portable when it can not even start with battery let alone to let me do a presentation of even half an hour. HP any help please?

Student
hp2489
Message 6 of 12 (9,362 Views)

Any one can help with this trouble that I have and thanks.  

Honor Student
rustking
Message 7 of 12 (9,284 Views)

I have precisely the same problem, performed all the same tasks, purchased new battery, new a/c adapter/charger, installed new support assistant, but get message HP Pavilion dv6000 has stopped working close program. HP do not respond to my e-mails phone calls, want me to pay to answer my queries. At wits end Rubbish computer that is useless when stock battery dies. I note no one answered your query either, did you find a solution?

Honor Student
rustking
Message 8 of 12 (9,283 Views)

I bought my Pavilion dv6 3110ei in Decmeber 2010 and used it occasionaly. Mid this month I started noticing that the battery is not detected by windows. Checked the HP website and did all the steps the website suggested including updating BIOS. I still get the same message 'No battery is detcted'. When the message first started I could still start the laptop with AC power and even if I unplag it I could still use the battery for some minutes without AC. Now the laptop still does not start with battery and after I start with AC plugged in if i remove the AC it only runs for less than two minutes and automatically shut off. I tried charging it the whole night withthe laptop off, I still can not use the laptop without AC power. The adapter voluntage output is 19v so in my case the adapter does not seem to be a problem. I was ready to try buying a new battery but from what I have been reading in the forums that does not seem to solve the problem. Quite frankly I can't believe companies like HP keep quite when customers suffer like this. Why call this equipment portable when it can not even start with battery let alone to let me do a presentation of even half an hour. HP any help please?

Tutor
rgmcatarino
Message 9 of 12 (9,204 Views)

If you already have checked the problem is not the battery ( usually when the battery is new or when the battery is charged on another notebook), or the AC to DC converter, then you must check this first:

1) Remove your battery,

2) Unplug your power cord from the notebook,

3) Push the power button for 15 seconds (if necessary you can hold down for 1 minute),

4) Plug the power cord into the notebook,

5) If the power led is on, your power adapter is probably working,

6) Push the power button,

7) If the computer powers on, your power adapter is probably working ( it's more certain than before),

8) Try to use the computer,

9) After Windows finished the entire start up process, you must insert the battery,

10) It's expected that the battery icon shows charging.

If it happens to you,  therefore the problem is in the motherboard. The exact point it is in the IC responsible for check and control the status of the battery. Up to know I don't know where is located the fault IC. This fault IC is a Voltage Comparator, usually it is an Operational Amplifier.

If you remove the powerplug the computer will start to drain the battery until the end, but if you reinsert the powerplug  the computer WILL NOT detect, and it will continue to drain the battery until the end.

If you remove the battery with the powerplug inserted, the computer will turn off, cause it doesn´t recognize the power source from the cordplug.

Remove the power plug, insert it again without the battery and the computer must be able to turn on.

If you turn on the computer, and after this you insert the battery than the computer will start to charge the battery.

Resume:

A) To charge the battery you must insert the battery after the computer it is on.

B) To use the battery power you must disconnect the power cord, but you won't be able to charge it until you turn off the computer  and remove the battery, and to follow the step A.

I verified that the problem happens to all DV6000 ( DV60xx ), DV6100 ( DV61xx ), DV6200 ( DV62xx ), DV6300 ( DV63xx ), DV6400 ( DV64xx ) and DV6500 ( DV65xx ) series.

My case is a HP Pavilion DV6104eu, that I bought in UK.

Intern
rambotrader
Message 10 of 12 (7,191 Views)

Don't expect any help from HP.  They are happy to sell you their computer but do not much care after that.  I also am having a replacement battery problem which is now MY PROBLEM.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation