HP DV6500 DVD drive not working/not ejecting (14647 Views)
Student
Keerthi
Message 1 of 9 (14,647 Views)

HP DV6500 DVD drive not working/not ejecting

[ Edited ]

I have a HP Pavillion DV6500.

All of a sudden my DVD drive stopped working...I'm not able to open the door of the drive either by pressing the button or using "Eject" option on the DVD  icon in MyComputer. I managed to open it manually by using the small hole on the door and inserted a DVD and it does not read.

I restarted my laptop and the dvd drive door does not open and it does not read. 

Any suggestions? Thank you for your time. 

Message Edited by Keerthi on 07-24-2009 10:46 AM
Student
Slick
Message 2 of 9 (14,520 Views)

Re: HP DV6500 DVD drive not working/not ejecting

Hello,

Today I had to troubleshoot a dv6500, it was doing the samething. I did remove lower filters from the registery, that did not work. I then did a system recovery to the factory defaults, that did not work. Next I deleted both partitions and installed a fresh copy of Vista Home Premium using the usb. After the system started up and when i went to check the dvd/cdrom in My Computer, it was still not there. HP sold my client another DVD, but still did not work.

What I noticed is that during boot, it lights up and can open. After OS starts in nolonger funtions. It is not in the device manager either. I updated the BIOS, optical drive, which didn't work b/c it cannot reconize DVD/CD player in device manager. This leads me to conclude that it is a motherboard issue and you are better off the purchase a new laptop, rather than spend the money on the motherboard, you may end up with the same problem. My client has already spent $150 on new DVD drive which did not need replaced. The MOBO could cost another $150 not including labor. If I learn anthing new about this issue, I will post. Good Luck!

Slick

Teacher
GreenAlchemist
Message 3 of 9 (14,507 Views)

You are one of 1,000's suffering for a faulty mother board that HP admits too, but since you are out of warranty and it's a know problem HP "Enhanced" some warranties so these customers could have their HP fixed, but the email was JUNK mail proned or you might of not even received a notice regarding the free repair and so you are now left with paying for the repair, you have to open a case with a case manager and try to get your mother board fixed or get a replacement for your lost, I paid $1500 bucks for mine in March of 07' which is allot of money then so imagine now!? and I am now on the third time getting mine fixed with HP. Dispute your repair because it's not fair that you paid for a product you expected to work, if you search the internet you can find story after story, if you any questions just PM me.
"HP is now my least favorite CPU company" HP Pavilion Dv6000 are lemons
Student
boxermotor
Message 4 of 9 (14,416 Views)

i had the same problem

after trying everything for two days straight i did one last thing

rollback the bios version and it started workin like normal

check hp site  http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=2100&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3691928&lang=en

jus use an older bios version i used F.31

let it do it's thing and it may work for  you too
hope it works for you

Honor Student
damienctf
Message 5 of 9 (14,369 Views)

I definitely agree that HP has blindsided what would have been a loyal consumer base by selling us faulty products and not offering support for issues that are beyond what you'd call "normal use". I've tried downgrading the bios to f.27 or lower and my DVD drive still won't work, not to mention the registry fix and reinstalling vista. I thought that getting an external DVD drive would ultimately fix my woes but my darn laptop won't boot up to it so it's either spend a ridiculous amount to have the motherboard replace and ultimately have the problem come back or switch to another brand and right now I think, the latter's the best solution.
Tutor
tsnbci22
Message 6 of 9 (13,261 Views)

I have an HP PAVILION DV9715nr dvd drive has not worked for at least a week now. I gone the web site from microsoft FIX IT NOW and still no luck in getting my drive to work. It's an TSST CORP CDDVDW TS-L632N ATA DEVICE. Can some one please help me with this. Also have gone into REGEDIT and found no upper and lower filters to remove. Is there anything else that I can do to resolve this issue. I have uninstalled ANY software for the dvd. the device is NOT listed in the device manager, i have OS windows 7
Student
obsquacious
Message 7 of 9 (13,119 Views)

I just came upon this issue 4 days ago, and have been trying to figure something out. So far i've had no luck, and this of course occurs 2 weeks out of warranty. The best part of the scenario is that i had just installed Windows 7, which apparently HP doesn't support for the dv6500s. I've ripped my vista recovery disk to iso form, but still can't get it to boot from any of my external hard drives or thumb drive. Even more wonderful, I gained access to an external DVD drive which the laptop will also not boot to. Stupid drive has rendered my computer absolutely worthless.

HP did replace my motherboard about 3 months ago while I was still under warranty (not sure why, it was having hard drive issues as far as I could see).. I'd sure like my old one back.

Honor Student
meaves84
Message 8 of 9 (7,045 Views)

Finally i found this post and it worked.

RE: I know this is a really old post but I found a solution for my computer that I didn't find on the internet.  My DVD drive wouldn't show up in the device manager either.  I tried drivers, deleted the upper and lower registry files...changing dvd drives...I tried everything I could find on the internet to fix this problem..and nothing worked.  Today I download MagicISO and MagicDisc to burn an .iso image...I guess the virtual drive installed a driver when I installed MagicDisc...my DVD burner is working now and showing up in the device manager as well as my virtual drive and I am running Windows 7 on a DV9000 HP pavillion notebook.  I hope anyone else reading this with this problem is able to solve thier issue with this solution. I have been searching for months!!!  GoodLuck!

http://download.cnet.com/MagicDisc/3000-7970_4-10383679.html

Student
MrMarkDStephens
Message 9 of 9 (2,670 Views)

Wow, that worked...and fast...and it was easy and free.  Thanks for your work in finding that and posting it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation