Question

Honor Student
Director871
Message 1 of 11 (5,793 Views)

HP DV6910us powers up and then shuts off within seconds

Computer will usually not go past bios flash page before shutting off (either on battery or AC power).  Once in a while it will attempt to start Windows and then shut off.  On one recent attempt I was able to boot up and it actually ran for approx. 7 hours before shutting off, during which time I was able to transfer approx. 124GB of data to a USB drive.  Unfortunately it will not do that again.

When I power it up the fan engages, runs for a few seconds, stops and starts again a couple of times (in a matter of seconds) and then the computer shuts off.

Distinguished Professor
Rakhmad
Message 2 of 11 (5,778 Views)

Re: HP DV6910us powers up and then shuts off within seconds

You have have a hardware issue, overheat most likely.

Try to clean dust and start the notebook with a cooling pad, see if it is working.

Once able to enter the OS, check your temps, by using Hwmonitor, here

______

Pavilion DV2922TX, XP-SP3 32bit, Intel T5750 2.0Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS with 128MB, 4GB 667 DDR2, 250GB HDD
Top Student
TWoods68
Message 3 of 11 (5,755 Views)

This is NOT overheat.

I have a DV6910 doing EXACTLY the same thing. On about the 10th of December, it just....shut off. No warnings, no beeps, no shut down sequence, just...off.

This machine ran with Everest at all times and it has NEVER been in an overheat state. From the day of purchase this laptop has been on a cooling pad made of solid aluminum, and cooled by dual fans. On the day this issue started, the machine had only been running for about 15 minutes.

It sat on a desk for a whopping TWO WEEKS over the holidays, and yet on the first attempt to boot it, still exhibits exactly the same behavior you describe. I woud say 2 weeks is more than enough time for the laptop to cool down from an overheat.

Sometimes it will not power on at all. Other times it will power on for a few seconds, and then shut off. The best I have managed to do is get it all the way to the windows login before it shut off again.

In the cases where it will not power on at all, the battery light on the front of the machine blinks 3 times and stops.

I have tested the power supply and battery, both are good. I have done a hard reset too many times to count. I have swapped both memory chips to test all possible combinations. I have removed the optical drive and hard drive.

NONE of these things solved the problem.

There are several other posts from other owners about this same exact issue.

All HP will tell me is that I need to give them $398 to repair it. No thanks, I'll put that $398 into a Dell.

Distinguished Professor
Rakhmad
Message 4 of 11 (5,742 Views)

@TWoods68

As I said this is a hardware problem, and mosly likely overheat issue.

Yours have a different problem, "No warnings, no beeps, no shut down sequence, just...off." this is a symptom of power regulator issue or some kinds and definitely not overheat issue.

Go to any level components store, it wont cost too much.

Start your own thread to get more responses.

______

Pavilion DV2922TX, XP-SP3 32bit, Intel T5750 2.0Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS with 128MB, 4GB 667 DDR2, 250GB HDD
Top Student
TWoods68
Message 5 of 11 (5,687 Views)

I have started a thread, and replied to several others.

If you read thru these forums you will find that there are many people having this exact same issue.

Furthermore, if this were an overheat problem, why would the OP's machine subsequently run for 7 hours with no issues? Why would a cold machine refuse to power on due to overheat?

You are correct in that, this is a hardware issue. Fact is, these machines are lemons, and HP needs to start extending the warranty to fix the problem.

Distinguished Professor
Rakhmad
Message 6 of 11 (5,665 Views)

Original Poster has overheat issue however yours have power regulator issue.

Your problem can occurred to any motherboards.

______

Honor Student
mjsod
Message 7 of 11 (4,749 Views)

I am having the same exact problem with my HP DV6910us.  I have also read that this is a problem that HP knows about, and knew about, but does not care to do anything about.  Two smaller local retailers in my area have stopped selling anything HP because, and i quote, they are pieces of crap with problems HP knows about and does nothing to assist either them to repair or help the consumer in any way.  You can find multiple places including on a CNET revew of this laptop that this is and has been a known problem, and that HP just does not care

Honor Student
Bossmj
Message 8 of 11 (3,247 Views)

Distinguished Professor?  Really?  Is there anyone in charge of you folks?

See the thing is, not all users are the same.  Some are dumb as the day is long and others, they ask questions that suggest they actually might know something.  It is incredibly ANNOYING for these second category users not to mention insulting when you respond with something as retarded as run of the mill script suggestions.

Hwmonitor?  :smileyvery-happy: please confirm you did not put any thought into your response.  With google at your disposal, why wouldn't you first really seek to identify the problem?  Check them and then what?  Supposing they are high - what piece meal solution next.  If it is over heating and out of warranty, what then?  Send it in for repair at an exorbitant price? or you send him an instruction set with how to open it, fix it then put it together? (do you have any idea how unpleasant it is to open up a laptop?

Whoever is running this show, why won't you help us?  This stuff is really simple and beneficial to your company too.  You create another support tier and use experiences such as these to build up a knowledgebase.

Your devs can then address the problems in subsequent design AND you develop customer GOODWILL!

Google shall work 2 ways for you:

1. It provides you a resource wherein you can find representative or comprehensive data for your trouble shooting
  2. The lessons learned can be integrated into your business processes which can only make your company more valuable.

Why won't you help us?  Again, who is running this show?  Your response was insulting and dismissive!  Not every customer you run into is going to be dumb.  Think about that!  "... did you consider it could be a corrupted MBR?"  Oh - "start the notebook with a cooling pad"  REALLY?  ... and which does HP recommend?  Quite sickening!

Yes.  I'm experiencing the same issue but clearly, no relief here.  Have a good one! 

Top Student
pclaptop23hour
Message 9 of 11 (3,244 Views)

Hp Laptop DV6000 turns on and off within seconds

To those who say google this i have to no avail! IS it the GPU? How can that be when the unit doesn't even get a chance to heat up!

I press the power button and for 1 sec maybe 2 the blue lights above the key board ligit up and then go out?!

What is the problem? I posted aquestion here the other day and have had no repsonses what so ever , i can't even find my post I serached with the exact same title, author(ME) and other predominant words! cant find it? Is this mcahine now a brick?

here is my original post!

Hp Laptop DV6000 turns off and on

The power supply plug from the power supply went bad on this notebook. bought a replacement plug from Ratshack and blue light lit and all is fine, right?

Wrong!

I then try to power up unit and the blue lights above the keyboard will light only for a second and then shut off!

You can press the power button all day long and those blue lights will light, just for a second, and then go off.

The battery seems to have charged up some, in that I can disconnect the power supply and the same on~off situation occurs with JUST the battery for a power source.

Did a google and some said, 1) remove battery hold power button down,2) remove cmos battery, 3) check memory. tried all of those and NFG!

I then read some replies to my google query, and read that the video chip may have overheated and unseated a fews pins? Are they serious?

Anyhow/way can some one shed some light on this problem?

thanks
Top Student
pclaptop23hour
Message 10 of 11 (3,243 Views)

Re: Hp Laptop DV6000 turns on and off within seconds

the unit does the same thing with the power supply or the battery. The battery WAS completely discharged but after letting the DV6000 sit overnight plugged in ( I was in a "What Now" mood and just left in on bench) it seems to have charged battery. Either way though Ac adapter Only or Battery only it does the same thing. Hit the On button, blue lights across the top light for a second then go out!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation