Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

i drilled holes exaclty where the screws used to fit. I used washers to support the bolts. And when everything was in place, i sawed off the remaing part ot the bolts. This whole procedure cost me less than $1. Although it looks ugly, it saved e a lot of money and the screen is sturdier than before. 

Warning: don't try this unless you are competent with hardware tools. also it requires a lot of patience. And most importantly, i mean no harm towrds HP or their laptops.

HP Recommended

I though i had a unique case and was wondering what to next! But it seems like we have a lot more peeps with broke hinges (left)

I have been using HP for the past 7 years and never had such severe problems before. I feel the model i have HP Pavilion dm4 is full on issues. 

I bought this computer from best buy around 1.5 years back. In 3-4 months i had issues with the screen going blank. I had my computer sent to HP service via best buy. After a 3 week wait i receive my computer back with a replaced screen but with a bad keyboard. So i have to resend the computer to HP for an additional 2-3 weeks. Finally i get the computer back and a few months after that i started having hinge issues. I didnt want to send my computer back again as the lead time was too much for me to live without a computer.

I waited and waited but 3 months back my hinger cover came off and the hinge is broken. The screen bezel will break soon due to the broken hinge.

I will request HP to suggest me some solution as best buy "geek squad" bluntly reject to offer any advice.

Thanks - Gaurang

HP Recommended
Hello Gaurang,

You could call HP at 800-474-6836 in the US/Canada, and they can provide you with repair options, or you can buy another notebook. I hope this helps.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

Firstly thankyou for replying to my post.

I did call HP and they asked me to pay around 200 USD to fix it. When i told that this was a repair issue they offered me a discounted repair price of 140. It is still steep for an expensive laptop and the further problem is no one documented the conversation. The agent was supposed to talk to his lead for a further discount and call me back in 10 mins which never happened.

I have no clue what do i have to do now

HP Recommended
Hi Gaurang_YNWA,

I would suggest calling HP again.
Support phone #’s - http://goo.gl/n2Qb1

If you are out of warranty, you can fix it yourself as hmmmmmm did, pay another repair shop or person to fix it, or call HP and send it in to be repaired.

Regards,

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

Just letting you guys know, I bought the HP dm4 in 2010 from Costco, and its hinges have broken down (resulting to my monitor completely breaking) 3 times in the past 2 years. (The laptop is only a little over 2 years old now.) I've sent this laptop back to HP warranty support 3 times already (2 for the hinge breaking and 1 for when they installed the new hardware incorrectly while trying to fix the hinge so BSODs were occuring even aftering reverting the laptop to factory settings).

May I note the problem started to occur within the first year I purchased the laptop. (The white line/screen fading issue first showed up within the first month of ownership, but it didn't get too bad until a few months later.) Since then, it seems like the problem reoccurs about once a year... effectively making your laptop die once a year and if you don't have infinite warranty or are not a tech wiz who can fix his/her own computer, then you're basically screwed and you've given the money to HP for a broken piece of garbage.

Now my warranty is up, but I will still call up HP/Costco because it's unfair that I spent close to $1000 on a laptop that is inherently flawed in its design. I take good care of my laptop and I never even dropped it. The hinge broke over time simply from just opening and closing the freaking laptop lid.

Here's an album of the current state of my laptop with its hinges broken, just to prove this is identical to the problems everyone else has in this topic. I encourage those who have the same problem to upload photos as well and post them here to bring awareness for new customers to stay away from this product, help those who have this issue if possible, and to really bring this to HP's attention:

HP dm4 Broken Hinge/Monitor Album Link - http://imgur.com/a/ITfiu

Here's another album link from an earlier time when I had this same exact problem:
HP dm4 Broken Hinge/Monitor Album Link 2 - http://imgur.com/a/HSfbY

HP Recommended

[Personal Information Removed]  my laptop hinge has become destroyed.

HP Recommended

Add me to the list, I actually own 2 dm4-1162us models and they both have this problem.  Any update or resolution on this matter?

HP Recommended

Hello balla512,

Your hinges on your laptops have broken.

The only thing that anyone would be able to suggest is to give HP a call and see what options they may have.

Here is a link to the number

Let me know how everything goes.

Have a good day.

HP Recommended
Am having the same problem with my hp dm4. It's beginning to piss me. First i had to replace the screen, then, then this hinge problem, can't close the lid. Now it's not seeing the usb ports. Solution pls.......selling it off isn't worth anything
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.